AMERAUCANA finally laid her first egg - blue!!! Now what?

stux2c

In the Brooder
9 Years
Mar 21, 2010
So after waiting patiently for a few months, we finally got our first blue egg. One of our 4 Ameraucanas laid it yday outside in the run. It was very small. We get eggs from our Reds and Barreds, but we got our Ameraucana hens at younger ages. We think it was Buttercup. She is 20 weeks.

So now what? Should I expect an 'easter egg' daily like i expect eggs from my barreds and reds, or is it still going to be while til we get to that point?

Also, the egg was very small. I assume its becuase it is her first egg. Will her eggs get bigger over time?

Do I need to change diet or do anything differently now that she is a layer? I wasnt planning on it.

Lets hope the other 3 start laying as well....i want colored eggs! Thanks ahead of time for any helpful tips.

The egg is small because she's only a young pullet, she'll get older and the eggs will get bigger.

The blue color will stay, but only fade as the pullet matures through its years.

What exactly is it you're wondering? And, we need pics.
big_smile.png

If she's a true Ameraucana and not purchased from a feedstore or hatchery, she should lay pretty decently. If she's an Easter Egger, she may take breaks, may lay really well, or may just lay once a week like mine.
roll.png

If she's eating layer pellets, she's fine. If she's eating chick food or something, you may want to switch.
wink.png

Last edited:
51805_egg.jpg

far right is the littel egg we got today. i got my reds and barreds already laying, and the ameraucanas are younger, so I wanted to make sure nothing needed to be done now that they are laying eggs....sounds like I dont have to do a thing.

how do you tell the diff btw ameraucnas and easter eggers? the diff btw araucanas and ameraucanas is the tails, correct?

Quote:
If you ask, she's an Easter Egger.
wink.png
Easter Eggers are a crossbred chicken who often lays green eggs, and are sold falsely as Ameraucanas by feedstores and hatcheries. Ameraucanas are a breed recognized by the APA with their own standard, and should lay blue eggs - Also, they're only available from breeders and should only come in 8 recognized colors, with slate (grey) legs, a beard and muffs, and a pea comb.
smile.png

Yes, Araucanas are usually recognized by their lack of tail. They're very rare, and sort of hard to find, too.

Pretty green egg!
smile.png
Soon your other EEs should give you green, blue-green, and possibly brown eggs.

Show off!!!!! ------ I have two EE that are 28 weeks and showing no signs of laying ------ uggggggg!!!!!!
hit.gif

Seriously, - CONGRATULATIONS:woot

51805_img_3257.jpg

Bella

51805_img_3114.jpg

Buttercup

51805_img_3113.jpg

Falcon

51805_img_3259.jpg

Gracie

We think Buttercup was the layer. They were all born on or around Nov 3 2009. The Buttercup and Falcon pics were taken about a month and a half ago. Falcon's comb is coming in much better and bigger and they are both a little beefier. Bella and Gracie look just about the same. Those pics are from 3 weeks ago.

If anyone has an opinion as to if these are EE or Ameraucanas, chime in!! If you know which specifc line of EE or Ameraucana, Id love to know. Thanks.

Those are EEs, and quite pretty ones at that! I especially love Falcon's coloration--gorgeous!
love.gif
Congrats on your first blue egg, too. It might be a little bit before the eggs start coming in regularly, but when they do it's quite nice getting colored eggs all the time.

Back
Top Bottom