Ameraucana from Meyer Hatchery?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Oobhakeb, Aug 17, 2011.

1. Oobhakeb

Oobhakeb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 9, 2010
    Lancaster, Kentucky
    Hey there. I ordered 16 different breeds of chics (1 breed of each) from Meyer and received them mid June. One of them is suppose to be an Ameraucana. I have tried to identify all the breeds and have for most of them however, having trouble identifying my Ameraucana. I tried googling but have found there are lots of colors! Can't figure out which is my Ameraucana....do they just sell the EE and not the true Ameraucana? Is this her?

shes was moving really fast but she has gorgeous coloring and I cant pin down what else she might be...everyone else is accounted for.

[​IMG]

2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    She's just an Easter Egger. Hatcheries like lying to people when selling Easter Eggers. [​IMG] Her color is very pretty but not a recognized one by any breed. The closest is gold duckwing.

3. Oobhakeb

Dec 9, 2010
    Lancaster, Kentucky
    thanks for the response!. The only reason I got an "Ameraucana" breed was for the EE's :) Trying to have a variety of colors in my eggs :) So it doesn't upset me too much but really now, the breeders should be a little more specific when advertising a bird as that. I still love Bertha and her big self even if she is a mutt :)

4. Rosaleen

Rosaleen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2011
    Danville, Vermont
    Amereucana looks very similar to mine, darker head. I call her Poppy (the explorer), she's very independent and likes to wander around (within earshot of course of the other girls). She also has a beard, while our other Amereucana doesn't.

5. Oobhakeb

Dec 9, 2010
    Lancaster, Kentucky
    Quote:Yes i noticed the beards on the pictures I was googling. I was starting to think my salmon Favorolle was my Ameraucana! Bertha is VERY independent...She was the biggest gal I had for a while which is why we amed her big bertha. What coloring does your other one have?

6. jmc

jmc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2008
    South Central MA
    Quote:

7. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Quote:
    What else would it be? There's no doubt that they know the truth, plus, I've tried emailing them before and they absolutely insist their stuff is purebred.

8. Oobhakeb

Dec 9, 2010
    Lancaster, Kentucky
    Quote:
    What else would it be? There's no doubt that they know the truth, plus, I've tried emailing them before and they absolutely insist their stuff is purebred.

when I did research on Ameraucanas chicken standards it listed characteristics of the breed that if they did not have it then they were considered not pure bred. Oh well, as long as I get pastel eggs, Im good. :)

9. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    And, Easter Eggers do not have all the characteristics of Ameraucanas. . . I don't get your point? [​IMG]

10. Oobhakeb

Dec 9, 2010
    Lancaster, Kentucky
    Quote:my point is I was just trying to reiterate what you said about the hatchery breeds not having pure bred ameraucanas...I couldnt find any of those characteristics except on my Salmon Favorolle (beard, coloring) just agreeing.,.....my bad

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by