Ameraucana gender

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by staze, Sep 5, 2016.

1. staze

staze Just Hatched

Sep 5, 2016
    All,

I'll admit it. This is the main reason I signed up for this forum. But, I am sure I'm going to get much more use out of it (reading and asking questions).

I have a total of six (hopefully) pullets, but one of the ameraucana's sure is hard to figure out gender. None of them have laid yet (they're all 19 weeks), but we're hoping soon.

Anyone have any input? I've gotten answers from friends on both sides of the fence (pullet and roo). I've also had a friend say it can be really difficult (to determine gender) with ameraucana's...

I'm happy to provide more pictures if it helps, but the more I read, the more I see roo and less I see hen. =/

Thanks!

Thanks! [​IMG]

2. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    EE cockerel

3. staze

staze Just Hatched

Sep 5, 2016

****. :/ place we got them does a "swap meet" of sorts, so maybe take him to that. The others seem much more obviously pullets.

What gives him away as far as roo?

Also, what's EE?

4. eleaserek

eleaserek Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2015
    Billings, MT

The pointy saddle and hackle feathers give him away as a cockerel. I bet he starts crowing any moment (if he's not practicing when you aren't around already [​IMG])

EE is shorthand for Easter egger. Which is actually what he is. EE's are often mislabeled as ameraucanas or Araucanas. EE's can be a mix of those, but are bred specifically for egg color and not much else. You can look up the differences easily enough.
    He's very handsome.

5. staze

staze Just Hatched

Sep 5, 2016
    No crowing or practicing that we've heard. But yeah, those are what I thought.

He's very handsome. I love the little splash of red.

And interesting about EE's. I had been told they were the same. So good to know they're not. :)

Thanks for the quick responses. :)

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    EE Cockerel

7. staze

staze Just Hatched

Sep 5, 2016
    Thanks all!

And just to be clear, these are the other 5... they all look very pullet like to me. But, also hard to get pictures when they're all running after whatever you give them to get them into shot. =P

Thanks!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. eleaserek

Mar 17, 2015
    Billings, MT
    Yep, all the rest look like pretty girls to me [​IMG]

9. staze

staze Just Hatched

Sep 5, 2016
    yay! Now if they'd just start laying...

we just started putting out oyster shells as a "if you want it". They do seem to be eating it... so we'll see. =)

Thanks everyone!

10. eleaserek

Mar 17, 2015
    Billings, MT

I hear you there! I have one pullet left that I'm waiting for eggs on. She's an EE too, and she's going on 25 weeks. I know it's well within normal, but she's driving me crazy!! Here she is [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by