Ameraucana Genetics/Traits

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by FlyAnywayAJ, Jun 17, 2019.

1. FlyAnywayAJ

FlyAnywayAJ Chirping

Aug 5, 2017
    I have a beautiful girl who we purchased as a day old last year. We were told she is an Ameraucana. She lays blue eggs but is lacking the cheek feathers and beard. My question is; is it possible she is a purebread Ameraucana or does the lack of cheek/beard feather mean she is definitely not. (ie do Ameraucanas always have cheek/beard feathers or does it sometimes happen they do not)
    Please note: I am not asking for the purpose of breeding her as an Ameraucana, I am aware this wouldn't be proper form.
    The reason I am asking is I would like to know if all her offspring (when crossed with a single comb Rooster) will have a pea comb. My understanding is the pea comb is dominant over the single comb, but if she carries a single comb gene some of her offspring with have the single comb (which would mean she isn't purebread). I'd like to know this because I'm wondering if I will be able to tell her babes from the others (BCMs) by the comb.

2. SunHwaKwon

SunHwaKwon Crowing

Jul 19, 2015
    Coastal Bend, TX
    My guess is she's an Easter Egger and so may or may not be homozygous for the pea comb. Where did you get her? Many hatcheries (and thus, feed stores) mislabel their EEs as Ameraucanas.

3. sylviethecochin

sylviethecochin Free Ranging

Jun 14, 2017
    Central PA
    Yep. Araucanas don't always have their cheek feathers, but Ameraucanas do. I too suspect she is an Easter Egger.

Brahma Chicken5000 and sourland like this.
  4. FlyAnywayAJ

FlyAnywayAJ Chirping

Aug 5, 2017
    Thanks! She was from a backyard private breeder.

5. FlyAnywayAJ

FlyAnywayAJ Chirping

Aug 5, 2017
    I don't know much about Araucanas, they're very rare in this region apparently. But I understand they don't have tail feathers and Evee does, so likely an EE.

6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Can you post a picture of her ?

sylviethecochin likes this.
  7. sylviethecochin

sylviethecochin Free Ranging

Jun 14, 2017
    Central PA
    Rumpless (no tail feathers) leads to breeding problems, so there are actually a lot of Araucana stock with tails.
    Again, if you picked her up at a feed store or at a local farm, probably an EE. Since you picked her up from a breeder, I'd like to know what the breeder has and see a picture of her before I make judgments.

8. BigBlueHen53

BigBlueHen53 Songster

Mar 5, 2019
    SE Missouri, USA
    Interesting! One of my EE chicklets has green legs and is feathered just like all the others, but has smooth cheeks. Early days for eggs, though, and I will have no way of knowing who lays what anyway .... :confused:

9. FlyAnywayAJ

FlyAnywayAJ Chirping

Aug 5, 2017
    Here she is

Attached Files:

• Evee.jpg
      Evee.jpg
      File size:
      938.8 KB
      Views:
  10. FlyAnywayAJ

FlyAnywayAJ Chirping