1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Ameraucana getting picked on my Leghorns - any advice

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by divinemercy, Jan 7, 2009.

1. divinemercy

divinemercy New Egg

Jan 7, 2009
    New Mexico
    We have 9 chickens or varying breeds and two ducks, our first flock. The Leghorns have been, for the most part, the dominant ones since they were chicks. In the past few days, however, they have become a bit violent towards our Ameraucana, who is quite docile. They have pecked out the feathers on one side of her neck, leaving bare flesh and a little (very little) blood.

Other than seperate housing (not a possibilty in our situation), does anyone have any advice? Can the Leghorns be trained not to attack her?

Thanks for your help!

2. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    What is the protien percentage you're getting out of the feed they get? Feather picking is often a sign of a nutrient defeciency. Short of that, if they are just being territorial, you'll have to find a way to separate them or get rid of either the ameraucana or the legorns. [​IMG]

3. divinemercy

divinemercy New Egg

Jan 7, 2009
    New Mexico
    I will check, but I know we were careful when picking out their food. None of the others are feather picking, and the Leghorns are only doing it to the Ameraucana.

4. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    [​IMG] Are all the Leghorns picking on the Ameraucana. I had one aggressive bird. One day I caught her savagely attacking another bird. I gave her a good wack. She hasn't done it again to my knowledge. I put a camera out to watch them.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2009
  5. Tailfeathers

Tailfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2007
    Washington State
    As an Ameraucan Breeder my only advice would be to get rid of the Leghorns! [​IMG] [​IMG]

God Bless,

6. jossanne

jossanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    Some chickens are dominant, some are timid. The timid ones get picked on the most, because they don't stand up for themselves. I've got a white polish pullet who's had to move out of the main henhouse, and is now in with the 11wo bantams and BR packing peanuts. They don't pick at her, because she's bigger than they are. She was picked mercilessly in the main henhouse, and she just stood there with her head down and let it happen.

If your poor ameraucana is going to be picked on, you might need to find her a new home.

In the mean time, if she's got a wound that bleeds, they will pick it until they kill her. You need to separate her from the rest until she's healed up, preferably in a wire cage inside the hen house, so that when it's time to re-integrate her, she's not the total newbie and doesn't have to go through the pecking order thing as badly as she would if she was totally separate.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by