Ameraucana.... Girl or boy?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Beautiful, Apr 2, 2012.

1. Beautiful

Beautiful Out Of The Brooder

Feb 9, 2012
    McAllen Texas
    [​IMG]
    Here is my Ameraucana that I bought 2 a day old on December 12th 2011 from a man that only breeds pure Ameraucanas... (Each pic I will put a note under)

[​IMG]

Then at 1 month old.. They both hatched on the same week. Its tail is so much longer then the other

[​IMG]

Almost 2 months old... (They are both from the same man but the white and black chick fell into our pool and died later on that night after taking this pic [​IMG].... ) I emailed the guy that I bought them from the next day because I wanted to replace it with another one and he said the black and white one is a roo and the brown one is a hen. but Im questioning if that is right....

[​IMG]

This was yesterday April 1, 2012 at almost 4 months old

[​IMG]

His/Her back has really shiny feathers

[​IMG]

Tail is really long and when the sun hits it it changes to greenish in color as does all the black on its feathers.

[​IMG]

Close up of side of face.

[​IMG]

Neck feathers are long and silky. He/she ran after a another chick and those feathers like stood up straight... It was weird since I've never seen that before...

[​IMG]

Legs are long and thick... I dont see spurs but dont know when or if they get any...

[​IMG]

And my last picture is the one I took when I bought the 2 Ameraucanas. These were his flock that the eggs came from... Mine look like the color of the hens but Is so silky shiny with rooster characteristics (I think)... Im just not sure since I never owed a rooster before... I have all hens and none of them are so shiny... I dont even rememeber these hens in this picture having shiny feathers..

If you can help me figure out what this chicken might be I would greatly appreciate it... Thanks

Lauren

2. akcountrygrrl

akcountrygrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2010
    Nenana, AK
    Well, none of those are true Ameraucanas. They are Easter Eggers (EE). True, purebred Ameraucana would have a beard/muff, slate colored legs, and a pea comb. Your cockerel (yep, it's a boy) has none of those and is not a recognized Ameraucana color. Hatcheries sell EEs as Ameraucanas and/or Araucanas when the birds are really production birds with the blue egg gene. True Ameraucanas (and Araucanas) will lay blue eggs whereas EEs can lay most any color. A lot of times people will buy EEs from hatcheries and think they have Ameraucanas because that is what the hatchery or feed store told them they were. They will breed the EEs thinking they are breeding Ameraucanas when in fact they aren't. They aren't trying to mislead you. They are just misinformed.

3. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    I agree 100%. Your bird is a rooster, and the man who is selling them to you is very misinformed about what he is selling. I don't fault him for trusting the hatchery not to lie about what they are selling, but I do fault him for being obscenely lazy and not bothering to know anything about the breed he's selling. Who knows what else he never bothered to learn about chickens.

Don't buy from him again, and stick to breeders here on the forums. They're very upstanding and knowledgeable people.

1 person likes this.
  4. Beautiful

Beautiful Out Of The Brooder

Feb 9, 2012
    McAllen Texas

Thank You for responding... Well thats a bummer... I kinda wanted pure breeds.... I drove far to get them.. Oh well...

So here are few better pictures of his comb.. What is this comb called?

[​IMG][​IMG]

5. akcountrygrrl

akcountrygrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2010
    Nenana, AK
    The comb looks like a cross between a single comb and a pea comb.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by