1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Ameraucana/ Guinea Experiment and

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Hapee Chicks, Sep 10, 2015.

1. Hapee Chicks

Hapee Chicks Out Of The Brooder

May 31, 2015
    Arkansas
    My Coop
    we bought 23 Guinea keets and 2 more Ameraucanas to add to the 8 we already.have that are 5 months.
    The experiment being to see if the A,s bond with the Guineas or join with the adult A,s.
    We are shopping 3 county fairs for an Ameraucana Rooster. Now I wonder if.the A hens will.accept.him?
    On top of all this our R.I.R.s are a month.older than the A,s and have always dominated.everything, even the 6 ducks BUT NOT our 2 Nigerian Dwarf kids :)
    Any input appreciated.

2. Hapee Chicks

May 31, 2015
    Arkansas
    My Coop
    We got down to 15 Guineas due to predators. They began pecking on one which I removed with the 1 , Ameraucana chick into another cage.;) These gif asking great! The A even is protective of the g chick.
    At 3 months we let the guineas loose only to lose 5 to predators! The remaining 9 today on the trees and I dint expect to ever see and guinea eggs. They follow me around closely in the day.
    Meanwhile a friend is keeping the A chick & G chick food me in a large run together until they mature. The Ameraucana hens stress MUCH MORE DOCILE than the R.I.R.s
    At that point I will try to put A hen in with the rest and I'm afraid G hen will go loose.

3. Hapee Chicks

May 31, 2015
    Arkansas
    My Coop
    We ended up with the one guinea who was rejected by her own and the one Americana became best friends for life and stay with my friend because neither flock would accept them back!
    As for the other guineas we got down from an original 21 to 3 from predators. Next we bought 5 full grown and now have lost all but one.

4. Rhodebar Lover

Rhodebar Lover Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2015
    Up North
    Thanks for the update. Interesting!

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    depressing

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by