Ameraucana has bumblefoot?

tiffhope

Hatching
5 Years
May 25, 2014
We found one of our Aeraucanas walking very slowly today and saw she has sores on both feet (one worse than the other). We've done some internet research and it looks like bumblefoot. Both sides have brown/black scabs, however one foot is more swollen than the other.

We decided to soak her feet twice today w/ epson salt/water and did some minor surgery on her worse foot. When I was cutting, however, I only saw a small amount of soft/whitish tissue w/ the scab...the other tiny areas were almost fibrous and looked more like tiny tendons/fibrous tissue? She was kicking a ton and we ended up stopping there and putting some neosporin on gauze and wrapped it w/ coban.

We're hoping this is just in the early stages of the infection... I could not see a definite core... it looked a lot different than the videos we watched. She's a heavy hen w/ thicker feet anyway... this could put her at risk for bumble foot?

Would love to hear your thoughts!...this is my first post on this site:)

Thanks so much!

I just cured my chickens bumble foot with duct tape. After 2 rounds of clavamix and soaking and wrapping with novalsam no improvement I gave up and tried what made sense to me. I cut a small square if duct tape and after
[/IMG][/IMG]cleaning her foot off I put on the duct tape and pressed to make it really stick. Then I wrapped wit vet wrap. I changed it every morning and every evening. Each time I took off the duct tape a little if the callous pulled off. After about 7 days the whole thing pulled out. She didn't cry out and there was no blood! It was huge! I cleaned the hole that was left and wrapped her foot with a small piece of dry gauze and duct tape and after 3 days of changing that once a day it was healed up. She's walking normally now!
I'm attaching pictures of before and after along with what pulled out of her foot on the duct tape. No cutting and no infection!

Here is the duct tape with the whole thing pulled out. It is about a half inch square of tape

Glad to share
This site has saved us before
Always glad for a non-invasive painless way too
Let me know how it goes!

Back
Top Bottom