Ameraucana hen (6-7 months old) not laying yet.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by MegMTL, Oct 20, 2014.

1. MegMTL

MegMTL Out Of The Brooder

Oct 19, 2014
    Quebec
    She's in a group of 4 red hens (no idea breed, lay brown eggs) and an Ameraucana Roo. She's not picked on, feathers are perfect. They do go outside in fenced yard they could fly over if they wanted to. I don't think she's laying outside, but I can't be sure.

2. FarmAndCountry

FarmAndCountry Out Of The Brooder

Aug 13, 2014
    Ontario
    I got some ameraucana chicks in the spring and out of 4 pullets only one has started to lay. From what I have read this breed can take a while to get laying so it could be a couple more months before you see any eggs.

3. MegMTL

Oct 19, 2014
    Quebec
    Thank you! :)

4. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    I would post a photo of your hen - it can help to see the signs of physical maturity in looking at situations like this.

5. nvdirtfreak

nvdirtfreak Out Of The Brooder

Sep 14, 2014
    My Ameraucana hens have been extremely slow to mature, as well (at least, compared to my other hens). I bought 5 on Monther's Day - 1 turned out to be a rooster, and only 1 of the hens is laying. Their combs and wattles are still very small and pale, while all my other breeds have big, bright combs and wattles. I think it must be typical of the breed.

6. MegMTL

Oct 19, 2014
    Quebec
    [​IMG]

Here she is! :) she has looked like this for at least 2-3 months

7. nab58

nab58 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2013
    CT
    She's a pretty girl! My Easter Egger who was hatched in May has a small pea comb that was pale until right before she laid her first egg last week. Her comb didn't get bigger but turned noticeably redder.
    Yours looks pinkish. Maybe she's not quite ready.

8. MegMTL

Oct 19, 2014
    Quebec
    Thank you, I was just in the barn closing their door to outside for the evening and her comb is bright red! Hopefully that's a good sign! :) Have you hatched any eggs? We were hoping to hatch her eggs!

9. nab58

nab58 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2013
    CT
    No, now that I have a rooster, I may try it in the spring. I never imagined egg hatching but I bets it's incredibly exciting!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by