Ameraucana Hen or Roo?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by pfannkuch12710, Jul 10, 2016.

1. pfannkuch12710

pfannkuch12710 New Egg

Jul 10, 2016
    So we originally had 3 Ameraucana 'hens', but 1 of the 3 had always looked different - had a different (prettier) color, had a larger comb, had one very long tail feather that stuck out over the rest, and finally one day started crowing. I cant have a rooster where I live so he had to be rehomed. Well, a few days later we heard crowing again from the coop - and it was the other 2 Ameraucanas! They look much different from the rooster, so I went to Google and read about hens that crow in the absence on a rooster. We separated them and moved them into our garage temporarily, but now I honestly have no clue if they are hens or not.. they are now 5 months old. Any help is much appreciated as I am new to owning chickens, but I really wanted Ameraucanas for their colored eggs!
    [​IMG]

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG] The birds pictured are both cockerels.

3. pfannkuch12710

pfannkuch12710 New Egg

Jul 10, 2016
    Forgive me for my lack of knowledge here, but even though they dont have the long tail feather like the other rooster did? I guess I thought bc they were all the same age that if they didn't have that feather then they must be hens. Now I'm so bummed, they were supposed to be sexed and all 3 turned out to be roosters [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Their hackle (neck) and saddle (back/loin) feathers are rooster typically elongated and pointy. A pullet's feathers would be rounded in these areas. Shiny, pointy wing coverlet feathers are also typical of cockerels.

1 person likes this.
  5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    x 2 Sourland

6. eleaserek

eleaserek Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2015
    Billings, MT
    I also hate to mention that those are not ameraucanas. Those would be Easter eggers. Someone was very not nice to you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by