Ameraucana Hen or Roo???

spatino

In the Brooder
9 Years
May 25, 2010
Marysville
Is my Ameraucana a Hen or Roo?

"She" was purchased as a pullet. 2 months old.

I have a suspicion. After reading through other posts and checking pictures I'm actually pretty darns sure.
I'd only suspected it once...but then today she started making new noises...but not a full crow.
Longer tail feathers, metallic green starting to appear in tail, bright red comb, thicker legs...hmm what else. Oh "she" holds her tail higher & has this prominent pose.

Last edited:

Elphaba2140

Songster
9 Years
Mar 20, 2010
Northern Illinois
I have EE pullets and they don't have a bit of red in their combs yet. They were hatched the last week in March. I believe that is a roo. Can you say a boy named Sue?

ChooksChick

BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist
11 Years
Aug 17, 2008
Larry, KS
My Coop
That there im a boy!

My kid just faked a twang as she 'hollared' that over my shoulder. I agree. You'll hear crowing soon. My EE roo who is similar in coloring is an absolute doll and never crows unless I have a budding crower in the grow-out coop. As long as there's no competition he's quiet enough to stay in town!

spatino

In the Brooder
9 Years
May 25, 2010
Marysville
Flipping figures! Hes sweet and hand raised, but he was experimenting with his voice this morning. I'd heard that hens occasionally make similar noises to a budding roos crow, because there isn't a roo around. All hope is lost. At least Ebby isn't a boy or girl name.

Top Bottom