Ameraucana hen or roo?

Amby417

Hatching
7 Years
Oct 22, 2012
We were sold a batch of chicks and thought all were girls. I am having my doubts about this one. age is now 17 weeks. I haven't heard a crow, but I'm just not sure of the gender. Any help???

Great! Thx everyone. We also have 3 Welsummers, a RIR and a RIR/Ameraucana, a Buff Orpington and a Barred Rock. If we hatch some eggs, what kind of babies can we expect? Just a barnyard mix? Just curious since this is our first flock to raise!

Great! Thx everyone.  We also have 3 Welsummers, a RIR and a RIR/Ameraucana, a Buff Orpington and a Barred Rock.  If we hatch some eggs, what kind of babies can we expect?  Just a barnyard mix?  Just curious since this is our first flock to raise! 

With an Easter Egger roo over brown egg laying hens you could get pullets that lay varying shades of green, so most people would say you have Easter Eggers (mixes that carry the blue egg gene). Depending on what genes he carries, you could get olive eggers out of your Welsummers, and varying shades of green egg layers out of the rest of your girls. If your EE boy carries two copies of the blue egg gene all the pullets should lay olive/green eggs, If he carries 1 brown and 1 blue gene, than you would get half brown and the other half olive/green egg layers, if he doesn't carry any then you would just get varying shades of brown egg layers (unless the RIR/Am layes green herself).

Back
Top Bottom