1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Ameraucana hen or rooster?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Cluckeup, Apr 23, 2018.

1. Cluckeup

Cluckeup In the Brooder

Apr 18, 2018
    I have 2 Ameraucanas and I think this one is a rooster, any thoughts? Just turned 8 weeks old. 20180423_184250.jpg

MatthewsHomestead likes this.
  2. peachyduckies

peachyduckies Waterfowl Enthusiast

Apr 21, 2018
    Illinois
    I have no idea what gender, but I believe that’s an Easter Egger.. :oops:

I’m a complete newbie to chickens, but don’t real Ameraucanas have muffs and beards? I don’t see a beard on this chicken, but I don’t have the best eyesight, either. :idunno

3. Cluckeup

Cluckeup In the Brooder

Apr 18, 2018
    I wouldn't be surprised. Whenever I asked about the difference between Ameraucanas and Easter eggers the shops selling them always told me, they are the same. I knew that wasn't true, but my final purchase was labeled an Ameraucana. At 8 weeks old i just can tell if they are hens or not.

MatthewsHomestead likes this.
  4. MatthewsHomestead

MatthewsHomestead Free Ranging

Feb 21, 2018
    NC Foothills
    Gorgeous is what he/she is. Hard to tell for me. And I raise Amerecaunas. My Roos have the definitive "mane" colorings......

5. MatthewsHomestead

MatthewsHomestead Free Ranging

Feb 21, 2018
    NC Foothills
    Although it does look a bit henish to me. No real waddles showing.....stature looks like my hens do. Roos will tend to stand taller in the tail not downward.......

6. redranger209

redranger209 Crowing

Apr 17, 2016
    Oakdale, CA
    Looks like a cockerel to me. Red is coming in on the wings and shoulders, and the comb is big for 8 weeks.

PachecoPeeps likes this.
  7. Cluckeup

Cluckeup In the Brooder

Apr 18, 2018
    Here is the pic I meant to show. Chickens are not easy to photograph. This one still doesn't show the tail in the up position. Thanks for your input.

Attached Files:

8. redranger209

redranger209 Crowing

Apr 17, 2016
    Oakdale, CA
    Still looks like a cockerel to me... Sorry!

9. Cluckeup

Cluckeup In the Brooder

Apr 18, 2018
    Yes, the comb on this one is twice the size as the other one I got at the same time. Thanks.

10. CiaBia

CiaBia Chirping

Feb 12, 2018
    Miami, Florida
    It's an Easter Egger, but that doesn't mean you should love it any less. They are still a GREAT breed! I have both Ameraucanas and Easter eggers, and one thing that EE's have on Ameraucanas is uniqueness. I do agree with the others in that it's a cockerel, I usually don't notice any sort of comb growth in my hens until they are close to laying.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: