Ameraucana-hen or rooster?

mherzog

Hatching
Feb 1, 2015
I just got some ameraucana chicks from a local gentleman. He said he got his chicks from a local feed store last spring. He is hatching some of the eggs. He told me the red ones were hens and the white ones were roosters. I don't really think that is the case. Can you tell from these pictures or still too early?

Thanks
Mark

Last edited:
Lovely little Easter Eggers you have there. The seller likely purchased them as Ameraucana and had not reason to think they were not as advertised, it's kind of a dirty little secret/play on words used by hatcheries to pass the mixed breeds off as something they are not (often skirted in the breed description if you visit the actual hatchery website).

They are a bit young yet to be sure and there are a few that I am not feeling real committed to saying one way or another.

Bird # 2 is showing a classic pullet pattern seen in EEs
Bird #3 is showing that same pattern but *almost* seems to be showing darker patches on the wings - which could be just a matter of lighting but, if true, *could* point towards cockerel - but I am leaning pullet

Black & white is often a combination seen in cockerels, but it is not a definite gender tell just on color. None of the black & white birds are screaming roo just yet (though the last bird does seem to have some nice, thick legs) - do they seem to be developing pea combs? If so, counting the rows of peas that are showing can help as males tend to have three defined rows and females just one. Unfortunately, as mixed breed birds there is no breed standard so many EE end up with single combs, etc, which makes some of the clues that can be used go out the window.

Overall, I would suggest posting again with updated photos in another couple of weeks so we can see how they are developing.

I will try to get some pictures of their combs I'm seeing some combs that are developing pretty large so I am thinking male I was just curious about color. Didn't think color would tell me gender of these chicks.

Lovely little Easter Eggers you have there. The seller likely purchased them as Ameraucana and had not reason to think they were not as advertised, it's kind of a dirty little secret/play on words used by hatcheries to pass the mixed breeds off as something they are not (often skirted in the breed description if you visit the actual hatchery website).

They are a bit young yet to be sure and there are a few that I am not feeling real committed to saying one way or another.

Bird #3 is showing that same pattern but *almost* seems to be showing darker patches on the wings - which could be just a matter of lighting but, if true, *could* point towards cockerel - but I am leaning pullet

Black & white is often a combination seen in cockerels, but it is not a definite gender tell just on color. None of the black & white birds are screaming roo just yet (though the last bird does seem to have some nice, thick legs) - do they seem to be developing pea combs? If so, counting the rows of peas that are showing can help as males tend to have three defined rows and females just one. Unfortunately, as mixed breed birds there is no breed standard so many EE end up with single combs, etc, which makes some of the clues that can be used go out the window.

Overall, I would suggest posting again with updated photos in another couple of weeks so we can see how they are developing.
Agreed.

In not sure you might want to wait till they get a little older...also look at their feet... If they are orange their normally a roo but if there brown there normally a hen [@]mherzog but this method only works 85% of the time ...with mine it did but not all are the same:)

Last edited:
I just got some ameraucana chicks from a local gentleman. He said he got his chicks from a local feed store last spring. He is hatching some of the eggs. He told me the red ones were hens and the white ones were roosters. I don't really think that is the case. Can you tell from these pictures or still too early?

Thanks
Mark

Hen

Hen

Rooster

Hen

Hen

Hen

These are my guesses on based on these pictures :)

I agree with Ol Grey Mare as well.

I agree with Ol Grey Mare as well.
Me too.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom