Ameraucana Hen???

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by wglasgow51, Sep 10, 2012.

1. wglasgow51

wglasgow51 New Egg

Sep 10, 2012
    Hi, my two new ameraucauna hens look very different. I am hoping one is not a rooster. Any help would be appreciated. I was told they were about 5 months old.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. NoseyChickens

NoseyChickens Feathers On The Ground

Aug 3, 2009
    Southern California
    They look to both be female. But they are not Ameraucanas. They are Easter Eggers, which should still lay a colored egg and are lovely birds to have

3. wglasgow51

wglasgow51 New Egg

Sep 10, 2012
    Great! The two have completely different tails. One drops down and the other stands tall, which is the bird in question. Do these birds have an "official"name, or are they just called easter egg hens? Thanks for your input! Great site!

4. NoseyChickens

NoseyChickens Feathers On The Ground

Aug 3, 2009
    Southern California
    They are just Easter Eggers. They are a mixed breed bird carrying the blue egg gene. They can lay blue, green, and sometimes brown eggs.

5. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    Pretty EE pullets, 100%. And yes, it's typical for them to vary a good bit in appearance which is, IMO, part of their charm. If you buy them from a hatchery, they will typically have green legs and beards because they are meant to resemble (and are often marketed as) Ameraucanas. All of mine lay eggs varying from baby blue to sage green but other colors are possible (though each hen lays the same color her whole life).

Last edited: Sep 10, 2012
  6. wglasgow51

wglasgow51 New Egg

Sep 10, 2012
    Great to know. Very different in appearance. Here they are from the back.
    [​IMG]

7. debid

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    I can't tell for certain from the pictures you've provided but the tailless one is either rumpless like an Araucana or she's molting. I had several pullets molt right before laying began and some of them dropped their entire tail at once. If that's the case, she has a tail like the other one coming soon. That tall, gamey tail is pretty common in EEs.

8. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Two nice easter egger hens. Look around at the easter egger threads here, you can see lots of the pretty colors they come in.

9. 123peepa

123peepa Out Of The Brooder

Jul 2, 2012
    My Coop
    Find out which one lays the eggs [​IMG]

10. debid

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    I have two molting hens right now with no tails and I went out and looked at them from behind. Yep, I'm putting my money on a molt. She'll have a tail again in a couple of weeks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by