AMERAUCANA HENS: QUIET OR NOISY?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by O.C.Chick, Feb 19, 2009.

1. O.C.Chick

O.C.Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    Newport Beach, CA
    Hello,

I am wondering if any of you Ameraucana owners can give me feedback on how quiet or noisy your hens are? I am curious about your experiences with how vocal the hens are in general...(I know that no matter how quiet a breed is SUPPOSED to be, there will always be individual chickens that break the "rules"!). I have been unable to find information on how quiet or noisy the hens are compared to other breeds, So I am interested in what other owners have to say about their experience with noise level. I hear they are very sweet, and I love the idea of colored eggs, but my chicken run is in between my bedroom and my neighbor's house, so, noisy wouldn't be a good thing for neighbor-relations no matter how many blue eggs I bribe them with!

Thanks for any thoughts you all may have!

Alys

2. Tailfeathers

Tailfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2007
    Washington State
    Hi Alys,

They're pretty quiet for the most part. I'd say quieter than most. Rarely make any noise while they're outside.

When they are upset they'll make sort of a growling noise and they'll make a lay cackle after dropping an egg.

Hope that helps.

God Bless,

3. Master S.M.C

Master S.M.C Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2009
    Maryland
    I would say quiet as well unless bothered a lot. This is probably the case will many breeds unless they have become attached to you

4. pokey

pokey Warrior Princess

Jun 1, 2008
    upstate
    mine are quiet and get along well with other birds. [​IMG]

5. cottagegarden

cottagegarden Eggistentialist

Oct 2, 2008
    SE PA
    Ours are quiet and laid back. Even the Roo doesnt really crow. Keeping fingers crossed on that one!

6. southalabamchick

southalabamchick New Egg

Nov 19, 2008
    HEADLAND AL
    I have 2 hens that are real quiet and laid back, but I had a beautiful rooster that I finally had to get rid of. He was like a line backer every time you went in the pen he would try to attack you until you left out of there. Even though he had great coloring it wasn't worth the stress and I have small grand daughters that love seeing my chicks.

7. Sebrightmom

Sebrightmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2008
    Greencastle, IN
    All of my Ameraucanas are pretty quite. My roosters do crow, but not as much as other breeds.

8. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

My Ameraucanas and the EEs, too, are very quiet hens.

9. GardenGirl

GardenGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi, I don't mean to hijack your thread, O. C. Chick, but I had a quick question on the Ameraucana/EE hens and din't think it warented its own new thread.

Do these hens lay most of the winter, or will there be a significant non-laying period. I have hear that they are winter hardy. Are they? Ok, I guess I had 2 questions. [​IMG] Thanks for letting me tag on. [​IMG]

10. Happy Chicken Mama

Happy Chicken Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2007
    Florida
    I have 5 and they are mostly quiet unless they want out of their coop or are anouncing their way over or back over the fence. They for sure are the smartest most curious of all of our chickens. They are the only ones who lay all winter as well. They aren't much for looks but they more than make up for it in so many areas! Eggs and all!

We even have one who literally gets in between all of the fights. Poor thing gets the crud picked out of her... but she is the official peacemaker. We love our girl.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by