ameraucana isolated and picked on

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by rrmuddy, Dec 28, 2012.

1. rrmuddy

rrmuddy New Egg

Dec 28, 2012
    I have a flock of nine hens. For a week they have been picking on one of my Ameraucanas. This behavior seemed to come out of no where. They are no open wounds just a lot of feather picking and chasing. The put upon hen spends most of her time hiding in the coop or if out in the yard seeking cover from the other aggressors. Is this behavior that will pass or is this poor hen in for a lot grief? There seem to be two other hens that are the primary aggressors but I have seen others pick at her also.

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG] If possible remove the primary aggressors for a week or so and then reintroduce them to the flock one at a time separated by several days. This may serve to lower their status and adjust their bad attitude.

3. rrmuddy

rrmuddy New Egg

Dec 28, 2012
    Thank You, I have a carrier for dogs that I've used to isolate the aggresive girls at night when they're in the coup. I'm assuming when you're refering to isolating you're talking no contact in coup, run or ranging about the yard.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by