1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Ameraucana losing feathers?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by 5lovelyhens, Feb 17, 2016.

1. 5lovelyhens

5lovelyhens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2015
    I went outside today and noticed a bunch of feathers in the coop. I have 3 other chickens and my Ameraucana is not at the bottom of the pecking order at all. When I picked her up, and set her back down, she shook like they do, and a feather came off. Is this normal or should I be worried? [​IMG]
    Picture of the feathers and a picture of her
    [​IMG]
    It doesn't look like she lost any feathers

2. junebuggena

junebuggena Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    How old?

3. 5lovelyhens

Mar 29, 2015
    1 1/2

4. junebuggena

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    That's about the right age for her to have her first molt. It will probably be a light, partial molt, not enough to be really noticeable, but just enough to put her off laying for a few weeks.

5. junebuggena

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    She is a really pretty Easter Egger. I'm hoping for a pullet with similar coloring from my latest hatch of Easter Eggers.

6. 5lovelyhens

Mar 29, 2015
    Okay, thanks! She stopped laying about a week or so ago. She went in the nesting box, but never laid. Could that be from the molt?

And thank you! She is a gorgeous girl. Hopefully you do get some with similar coloring!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by