Ameraucana not laying Blue/Green Eggs

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Heather Candee, Oct 11, 2013.

1. Heather Candee

Heather Candee New Egg

Oct 11, 2013
    Hi, I am a new member and this is my first post. I am concerned and disappointed because my Ameraucana, Pipa, just started laying last week and she has yet to lay a blue/green egg. They started out with a creamy pinkish tint but now they are a creamy brown. Is this normal?

2. Angelicisi

Angelicisi Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2013
    Baton Rouge area
    My Coop
    You may have an Easter Egger...use the search and check a few pics out. They can lay blue or green or brown or white...but the color laid is usually within a shade of the color they will always lay.

3. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG]

Where did you get her from? I'm guessing that Pipa is an Easter Egger, which is a mixed breed of chicken commonly (and mistakenly) called an Ameraucana by hatcheries and other people. EE's can be any color, and have many different features, though most have muffs and a beard. The true Ameraucana is a purebreed of chicken with set color varieties.

The only defining characteristic of an Easter Egger is that they lay colored eggs. Most lay blue/green eggs, but they can also lay pink, brown, and slightly tinted eggs.

Also, are you sure she's an Ameraucana/Easter Egger? If you're not sure, then I would recommend posting photos of Pipa in the What Breed or Gender is This? section of the forum.

4. ChickenGirly

ChickenGirly Out Of The Brooder

May 17, 2013
    Jacksonville Fl
    [​IMG]

5. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    Welcome to BYC! I too have an EE and she lays brownish eggs, I was totally disappointed. Unfortunately her eggs won't change color.

6. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you joined us! [​IMG]

7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Happy you joined!

8. Heather Candee

Heather Candee New Egg

Oct 11, 2013
    Thank You Everyone! I think that You're right...I have an EE. And now I know I won't have blue/green eggs :( Oh well, at least I have healthy chickens and yummy eggs

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

10. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by