Ameraucana not laying, not sick

cindyandjoe

Hatching
Nov 14, 2015
I have 8 in my flock. All laying quite regularly. All getting fed organic nonGMO layer feed with oyster shell available. Matilda is a little over a year old---a very consistent layer of very large, gorgeous blue eggs. Like clockwork, probably 6 a week. She hasn't laid in about 5 days. She is healthy, saw her take a big ol' chicken poop just today, so she is not egg bound. But she has been in the nest almost everyday---runs out screaming her egg song like normal, but no egg. She's not broody...she spends plenty of time outside with the girls. She has all her regular normal behaviors, just no eggs are coming out. Is this anything to worry about???

If she is still going about her business as usual and look physically healthy, then she's probably fine. This happened one of my ladies too and she started back laying after a few days!

Hens will often take breaks throughout the season. Some are days, others weeks and months. It is physically draining to continually produce eggs, so breaks allow them to build up some reserves again.

Ok I'm probably just overreacting. The only thing that seems odd to me is that she is in the nest box for a few hours, if not every day, then most days. And then acts like she laid an egg. But I super get that she needs/deserves a break. It's just like she's deluded that she's laying eggs.

I've had a few of those. I think maybe they are used to the routine so they keep it up, and go throughout the whole thing. An egg bound hen will usually get really sick. I f she's eating, drinking and scratching about odds are she is fine.

I've had a few of those. I think maybe they are used to the routine so they keep it up, and go throughout the whole thing. An egg bound hen will usually get really sick. I f she's eating, drinking and scratching about odds are she is fine.
Ditto Dat^^^

Not unusual for Ameraucana/EE's to be inconsistent layers either.

Last edited:
Depends on the source/breeding. I've had EE who are star performers in my flock. I've always said that Ams are not as good as EE when it comes to productivity. But, I have one little Am who's a very good layer.

If u ever have an egg bound hen just find the hard egg between her leg, than quickly squeeze to break that egg, all the shell and yoke, etc will drain out. No need to goose her just squeeze from outside of her between her legs. Surgery is so not needed. 😁

If u ever have an egg bound hen just find the hard egg between her leg, than quickly squeeze to break that egg, all the shell and yoke, etc will drain out. No need to goose her just squeeze from outside of her between her legs. Surgery is so not needed. 😁
This is terrible advice, that I doubt came from an actual "Retired Veterinarian".

Back
Top Bottom