Ameraucana not Laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by 1nugget, Aug 13, 2008.

1. 1nugget

1nugget Just Hatched

Jun 10, 2008
    Hello! I need a little advice. I have 2 sweet hens, a RIR and an Ameraucana- both have been laying regularly - 5-6 eggs a week. 2 weeks ago Speck - the Ameraucana stopped laying. She seems fine, she's eating and looks good, and I don't think she is molting. We are in Southern CA and its been warm here but not unlike other weeks in the summer when she was laying. Nugget, our RIR, is like clock work, every day in the early afternoon. Speck is not quite 1 year old and had been laying since March. Her eggs were big and green and perfect. Any ideas?? Thanks!!

2. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    Do they free range at all? If so, she could be laying eggs in hiding somewhere.

If they don't free range and you have checked all over their coop/run and haven't found any hidden eggs then... I'm at a loss. I did have one hen that would lay her eggs in the corner of the coop and then literally bury it under the bedding!! I just happened to see the end of an egg sticking out one day or I would have had a ton of eggs buried under there and found them in the spring when I do my cleaning.

She's young but it's possible she's going into a molt.

3. 1nugget

1nugget Just Hatched

Jun 10, 2008
    Thanks! I have not really checked the run well, just a glance. I let them free range when my tomatoes are not producing, but for the past 2 months they have been run bound. I'll take a good look in the run and see what I can find and post any interesting results. Thanks for the thoughts. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by