Ameraucana or a cream leg bar for bluest eggs

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Shellebelle920, Feb 12, 2019 at 8:03 AM.

1. Shellebelle920

Shellebelle920 Chirping

Feb 10, 2019
    Southwestern Pennsylvania
    I had reserved a sexed day old Ameraucana chick, a black austrolorp chick and a Salmon faverolles chick to be picked up at the end of march at a local lawn and garden center. I contacted a local farm that deals a good bit with chickens, and they told me that I should double check about the Ameraucana chick. Long story, but I double checked and the lawn and garden center said they are actually Easter Egger chicks..which is fine BUT I really want to be sure I get blue eggs. So I was researching breeds and the farm that I had contacted sells unsexed one day old Ameraucana chicks and autosexed cream legbars. Should I press my luck with the Ameraucana chick and pray that it’s not a rooster (my children will be so disappointed if I need to give one up) or should I go with the sure bet, cream legbar. Any differences in egg color that you have noticed? Or should I just stick with the original Easter Egger that I have reserved at the lawn and garden? Thanks for your help and opinions!

DobieLover and Alexandra33 like this.
  2. DobieLover

DobieLover Easily distracted by chickens

Jul 23, 2018
    Apalachin, NY
    My Coop
    EEs don't always lay blue eggs. I had three. The egg colors they laid were one olive, one green and one blue.
    You wouldn't be getting an Ameracauna, you'd be getting an EE. I'd go with the cream legbar. You'll get blue eggs and will have a 90% chance of getting a pullet.

TropicalBabies likes this.
  3. HenHouse4Life

HenHouse4Life GrandmaOnDuty

Mar 22, 2016
    Mid Michigan
    Have you considered ordering the super blue egg layer?

4. Shellebelle920

Shellebelle920 Chirping

Feb 10, 2019
    That’s what I was thinking... I was just unsure about which hen has the bluer egg and if the legbar eggs could end up being pale etc... also, as a first timer, I wasn’t real sure if the legbar would be a good first-timer chicken. Thanks for the reassurance!

HenHouse4Life likes this.
  5. Shellebelle920

Shellebelle920 Chirping

Feb 10, 2019
    Sounds interesting, and I haven’t heard about those! Now i’m Going to be researching those all morning!

6. HenHouse4Life

Mar 22, 2016
    Mid Michigan
    I believe there are a few different online hatcheries that sell them. I've never ordered any but I've come across them several times. If you need help just give us a shout out :frow

Shellebelle920 likes this.
  7. Cadence A Waller

Cadence A Waller Chirping

Feb 5, 2019
    Ohio
    I wouldn't go with the EE, just out of my two EE, one lays blue eggs and the other lays cream eggs so there is no guarantee that your EE chick would lay blue eggs.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019 at 9:26 AM
    Shellebelle920 and HenHouse4Life like this.
  8. HenHouse4Life

Mar 22, 2016
    Mid Michigan
    20190212_093847.jpg These are both Easter Egger eggs. I placed it next to a green one for comparison. It is a very pale blue. I have an older EE not laying right now that lays a blue-er egg...it's hit and miss with EE's as to what you'll get. Keep in mind that cream legbars egg color can vary unless you're purchasing from a breeder that breeds for egg color. But even then.....chickens are so variable. If you want a true, brighter blue I would suggest doing more research before buying.
    Good luck!!

9. Shellebelle920

Shellebelle920 Chirping

Feb 10, 2019
    Thank you! I’m not too sure what else is out there that would lay blue eggs and be okay for a first-time chicken owner with young kids. I think I’m just going to keep my fingers crossed that the farm is ordering from a blue-egg seeking legbar breeder because I’m afraid to chance it with the Ameraucana.

10. HenHouse4Life

Mar 22, 2016
    Mid Michigan
    You'll do just fine! Chicken math will strike you and before you know it you'll be posting on here with your flock of 20 blue egg layers :lau

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: