Ameraucana or Barred Rock

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Quadog, Oct 13, 2009.

1. Quadog

Quadog Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2009
    I got 10 Ameraucanas from Orschelns. They were all supposed to be pullets. I think I got 2 roos. Some of them look like Barred Rocks. This one looks like a Barred Rock Roo. Can it still be an Ameraucana??

[​IMG]

2. turtleblossom

turtleblossom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2008
    Kentucky
    Simply, no. Ameraucanas do not come in the barred pattern.

There is a great thread on Ameraucanas/Auracanas/Easter Eggers in the breeds forum.

3. Quadog

Oct 7, 2009
    In that case, I think I have an assortment of a few different breeds. I guess I better get some pics on here so ya'll can tell me what I have. [​IMG]

Does the other one in the pic look like an Ameraucana??

4. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    Quote:Ummm... my inexperienced answer would be nope.

5. cthrash1

cthrash1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Somerset, KY
    They would actually be EEs... The hatcheries don't sell true Ams, you would have to find them from an actual breeder they sell Easter Eggers as Ameraucanas/araucanas because they carry the blue egg gene. They are a mix of any breed and Am/Ara and they can lay anything from a blue egg to an olive colored egg to a pinkish looking egg depending what the mix is... They can be bearded or non, have a pea comb or straight and have any color legs, but most have green legs, and can come in any and all colors. They are a beautiful mix when you have a whole flock of them, and you will have a nice rainbow of eggs.

6. Quadog

Oct 7, 2009
    So the barred one above can be an EE? I have 3 barred ones that are alot darker which I thought were pullets & the ligher one a cockeral.

7. CHIC

CHIC Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2009
    Roanoke
    EEs can pretty much look like anything- they can be barred

8. ArizonaDesertChicks

ArizonaDesertChicks Eggstactic for Pretty Eggs

Dec 8, 2008
    Glendale, AZ
    Quote:You can get barred EEs by crossing ameraucanas with barred rocks, but hatcheries don't sell barred EEs.

Your barred chick looks like it has a straight comb and unless it has muffs/beard, it is probably a BR (or BSL male). There were probably some barred rock chicks in the bin you got your easter eggers from and that would account for the mixture. Our local feedstore sells easter eggers as "araucanas".

9. BoiseBubba

BoiseBubba Serama Psycho

Feb 11, 2009
    Boise, ID
    no, its a BR not an EE

10. Rodeoclown1189

Rodeoclown1189 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2009
    East TN
    well if you ordered them from a hatchery they might of added a few packing peanuts for warmth witch would be males of the sexlink variety

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by