Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Easter Egger

Votes: 4 100.0%

• Total voters

rothfarm

In the Brooder
Jun 2, 2016
Medina OH
I recently aquired this fellow. Was told he's an Ameraucana but I'm not yet knowledgeable on the breed to know for sure. Can anyone help me out? What would visualy distinguish ameraucana from easter egger?
20170928_114014.jpg
20170928_114212.jpg

Easter Egger.
This is how I can tell; His comb is oversized, indicating that he is impure for the pea comb gene. His colouring is also not a standard colour (which I believe Ameraucana have to have to be referred to as such. He looks to have genes for silver and gold, as well as the mahogany gene darkening that patch along his back to a red colour, and blue, lightening the chest area to that pretty slate colour.

We don't have Ameraucana in the UK, so I can't tell you exactly what they should look like; hopefully someone can come along with some nice examples for you.

I agree with Sneebsey. His comb is a good clue that he is not pure Ameraucana. Also being a none excepted color pattern is a major strike against him. He has a good pattern. But the pattern has to breed true "his offspring would be the same pattern" to even be considered for a new pattern for the Ameraucana standard. So in conclusion . . . You've very likely got an Easter Egger. Also if he came from a hatchery he is for sure an Easter Egger.

Back
Top Bottom