Ameraucana or Easter Egger? What's the difference?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by hebertchick12, Jul 30, 2014.

1. hebertchick12

hebertchick12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2014
    Raceland, LA
    Here is my Ameraucana, Leona. We bought her from the feed store when she was about a week old. Well, I have been corrected on the term "Ameraucana" multiple times. I have done my research, but am still confused.

So is she an Easter Egger? Or Ameraucana? Will I know once she starts laying by her egg color?

Also, she is at least 5 months old now and not laying, not even squatting. [​IMG] I am SO impatient!
    [​IMG]

2. Firekin1

Firekin1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2014
    Nova Scotia
    I've noticed it depends on where you live, but here an EE is just any mixed chicken who carries the blue egg gene but doesn't nessairly lay a blue egg. They can be different shades of blue, green, pinkish, even brown. EE's also don't breed true, meaning you breed 2 EE's of the same color, you won't necessarily get that color, where as Ameraucana's you breed color to color you get that color chicks, with the exception of breeding blue to blue, in that case you'll either get blue or splash (though splash is not a recognized color yet blue is), but you won't get any other color. I have true blue and black Ameraucana's. If I breed black to black the chicks will all be black.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  3. Firekin1

Firekin1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2014
    Nova Scotia
    I started off with easter eggers, and personally I liked them..you can get the most interesting feather combinations. I'm in the process of raising olive eggers right now ( mine are a cross between one of my Ameraucana and my cuckoo maran which lays a chocolate brown egg) to mix in my egg colors...I can't wait until they're old enough to start laying to see those lovely olive green eggs. I also might add with your laying question, I've had some not start to lay until they were almost 30 weeks old...the suspense of waiting almost killed me...lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by