Ameraucana or Easter Egger?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by SaraPea603, Feb 9, 2017.

1. SaraPea603

SaraPea603 New Egg

Feb 9, 2017
    Hi everyone! I was hoping to get some input as to whether this chicken is an Ameraucana or EE? I got her from a feed store specifically as an Ameraucana, but I realize there is a possibility for error there. She lays greenish-blue eggs. I don't mind either way what she is, but I'm curious! Thank you for your input!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These are her eggs.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 9, 2017
  2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I'd say EE and she is a real cutie

3. SaraPea603

SaraPea603 New Egg

Feb 9, 2017
    Thank you for your input! Yes I think she is pretty cute too! I named her Nugget. Doesn't seem fitting now that she's an adult. :p :lol:

I am trying to learn how to tell myself also. What are the defining characteristics for you that make you say EE?

Last edited: Feb 9, 2017
  4. lomine

lomine Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2015
    Peyton, CO
    Very pretty EE.

In order to be an AM she would have to be one of the APA accepted colors, she would have to come from two pure AMs, and she would have to breed true. This site provides pictures of the accepted breed colors if you're interested. http://ameraucanaalliance.org/photos.html First big clue for your girl is that she is not one of the accepted colors. Second clue is that you said you got her from a feed store. Most times you will be getting an EE at a feed store even if they label it an AM. If you are getting an AM it will be labelled by it's color (like Blue AM or Wheaten AM) and it will NOT be 3 or 4 dollars.

5. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Easter Egger.

6. SaraPea603

SaraPea603 New Egg

Feb 9, 2017
    Thank you for your help everyone! I just didn't want to be calling her the wrong thing!

My other hens are Rhode Island Reds and Delawares so she absolutely stands out!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by