Ameraucana or Easter Egger?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Lesler5, Mar 21, 2012.

1. Lesler5

Lesler5 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 22, 2011
    This hen is supposed to be Ameraucana, but she just started laying and her eggs look more green than blue to me. Her legs are black or slate not green. I do notice some goldish bits mixed in with the black around her neck though.. [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 21, 2012
  2. JerseyGiantfolk

JerseyGiantfolk Overrun With Chickens

Jan 12, 2012
    That would be a Black Ameraucana, but she has that coloring on her neck so it's probably a EE.

1 person likes this.
  3. suzeqf

suzeqf Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2011
    I think she's EE too because she has the brown on her neck, I have 3 Ameraucana's a blue hen a black roo and a splash roo and none of them have any other colors on them and some of my EE's favor yours I love their coloring I have one that looks almost calico she's very pretty. My Ameraucana hens' eggs started out greenish blue but had now turned to an almost robin's egg blue

4. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    Actually, Ameraucanas can lay green eggs and be perfectly legit. The eggs don't disqualify her at all. The slate leg coloring is non-negotiable however, and must be present. (willow is for EEs).

Technically speaking, even purebred birds who show unwanted genes like the red leakage here are called EEs. But unless you are selling her offspring, go ahead and call her an Ameraucana, she's close enough :).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by