Ameraucana or easter egger?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Nature Gurl, Jan 3, 2013.

1. Nature Gurl

Nature Gurl Out Of The Brooder

Jan 2, 2013
    Vancouver Island
    Can someone please tell me what these birds are. What are the differences between an Ameraucana and an Easter Egger are. In the second picture I'm curious about the bird on the left, not the little bantams on the right. And I realise the picture of the white bird is not the best. I can try and take a better picture if need be. Thank you!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. chickentooth

chickentooth Out Of The Brooder

Dec 30, 2012
    Hartland, Michigan
    Here is a link to a list of breeds with picks and descriptions of traits. It is hard to determine really from your pic. Looks like Ameraucana but easter eggers look like that too. Really all your looking for in the Ameraucana is a purebread bird versus a mixed EE. Also if they lay green eggs they are EE, as pure Ameraucana will lay blue eggs.The Araucana is another pure breed that lays blue eggs. They all have pea combs and four toes and no feathers on their feet.

http://www.mypetchicken.com/chicken-breeds/breed-list.aspx

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Your birds are easter eggers. To quailfy as an amer, they have to be specific colors and your birds are not. They're still nice birds and the hens should give you colored eggs. You do know the first bird is a rooster?

4. chickenlady099

chickenlady099 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2013
    antelope, california
    The middle one is an Easter egger and the other two are an Americana the difference is the egg color possibilitys and the Easter egger is not a recognized breed lastly americana has tuffs unlike an easter egger

Last edited: Jan 3, 2013
  5. Nature Gurl

Nature Gurl Out Of The Brooder

Jan 2, 2013
    Vancouver Island
    Lol! I do know that was a delicious rooster!

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Cool, I sometimes hate to say if someone didn't ask, cause folks get all freaked out........."that's my favorite, please please say it's not a rooster".

Tastes like chicken lol

1 person likes this.
  7. cluckcluckluke

cluckcluckluke Overrun With Chickens

Americana's are EE's, Araucana's are pure bred.

8. cluckcluckluke

They are all EE's but perhaps the white one is PB.

9. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    there are Ameraucana's, Araucana's, and then there are the EE's. the Ameraucana come only in 8 colors and if it is not one of those colors then it is considered and ee. an ee is any bird that carries the blue egg laying gene.

all of the birds pictured are EE"s the last almost looks like a wheaten though

1 person likes this.
  10. cluckcluckluke

Ameraucana's and Araucana's are the same just different names and they are Pure bred but EE's and Americana's are the mutts like you said any bird that has the colourd egg gene just different names. I thought the White might have been Wheaten but you don't think so???

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by