Ameraucana or Easter Egger

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Yeppiecup, Mar 5, 2013.

1. Yeppiecup

Yeppiecup Out Of The Brooder

Feb 13, 2013
    Vancouver, WA
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Novice chicken owner here. Our first purchase of pullets were what we thought were one each of Ameraucana, Barred Rock, Pencil Laced Barred Rock, and a RI Red. In poking around on the interweb, I think that our "Ameraucana" may actually be an EE instead. What say you?

2. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    She's a very pretty EE.

3. Yeppiecup

Feb 13, 2013
    Vancouver, WA
    Thank you! That's what I was thinking. The blue feet gives her away, huh? We bought another six hens from another seller a few days ago, with an "Americauna" in that group also. I'll have to post a picture of her to see what you think. She has some similar features to this one, but is a different color altogether. She is a very shy girl, though, and it's hard to get a picture of her. She hides in the coop a lot.

*runs out in the rain to shoot a picture*

OK, this is the other one. She has amber eyes and grey legs.

[​IMG]

4. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    Here's a link that I found useful when I was learning to tell the difference between an EE and an Ameraucana. www.ameraucana.org

The main item of importance is their coloration. Ameraucanas can only come in very specific colors. Anything outside of that color is not recognized as an Ameraucana (barring a few project birds, like Lavendars, that people are trying to get accepted into the official books).

Your girls do not come in one of the official colors, and are therefore EEs. I personally like that EEs come in more of a variety, and think they are endlessly fun to buy as chicks, because it's like digging into a box of chocolates without the cheat insert.

5. Yeppiecup

Feb 13, 2013
    Vancouver, WA
    Well poop! Oh well, we got them for eggs, not for show, so that's all right then. I just hate being misinformed. Easter Eggers it is! Thank you so much for your help!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by