Ameraucana or Easter Egger?

KodiPie

In the Brooder
6 Years
May 14, 2013
Southeastern, Pa
I

Is this hen an Easter Egger or Ameraucana? She has olive legs
and she layed the egg on the right in the picture above her today.
It is green! I think it is pretty.

I had started a thread before about this and some said her eggs were
not dictated by her leg color?
I am just curios about this, so need some help from all of you on her breed?

Thanks, Kodi

Your girl's egg is a very nice shade of olive green, those different colored eggs are fun. The color of their legs doesn't necessarily match what color egg they will lay. Plenty of green legged EEs lay brownish colored eggs, or gray legged ones lay green etc. Your girl is considered an Easter Egger, Ameraucanas are a breed with a standard they have to match. There is a link to the standard on the clubs website and more info on the difference on their FAQs page.
http://www.ameraucana.org/

She's an Easter Egger. Ameracuanas are a pure breed of chicken that only come in a few color varieties: Black, Blue, Blue Wheaten, Brown Red, Buff, Silver, Wheaten, and White. Ameraucanas also have blue legs; if a bird doesn't have blue legs, even if it has a similar color pattern, it is not an Ameraucana.

Easter Eggers are crosses of Ameraucanas, Araucanas, and higher-production, brown-egg laying birds. They lay greenish or pinkish eggs, and exhibit some of the same characteristics as a pure breed, but differ in color pattern, leg color, and egg color (pure Ameraucanas or Araucanas lay blue eggs, not green). Unless you plan to show, Easter Eggers are just as good as their pure bred relatives.

Hope this helps! You have a very pretty Easter Egger!

Thank you all for replying. Yes she is a pretty little bird that
loves to talk to you when you come up to her. Apparently I found
her first egg under our raised coop in the sand while I was raking.
She must have laid her first egg on Wednesday, as I watched her along with some others
get in the box yesterday.and............
Would you believe our Rooster and 2 other girls were telling her to "lay
your egg in the box, not under the coop".

Wow what cool eggs from a neat little girl that likes to chirp and coo at night.
Have a great evening! Kodi

Would you believe our Rooster and 2 other girls were telling her to "lay
your egg in the box, not under the coop".
I do believe this. Roosters will show hens good nesting sites by going back and forth from the site to the hen until she follows.

We often get pullet eggs laid out in the pasture. I think that the pullet just doesn't know that "gotta lay an egg" feeling yet, and the egg pops out and surprises her!

I do believe this. Roosters will show hens good nesting sites by going back and forth from the site to the hen until she follows.

We often get pullet eggs laid out in the pasture. I think that the pullet just doesn't know that "gotta lay an egg" feeling yet, and the egg pops out and surprises her!
HAHA mine still do that at times! Too lazy to go to the nest I guess
D.gif

.I had a hen well over a year old lay one on the coop roof this morning I guess late night in dark? or very early morning as its where she and her buddy roosted for the night right on flat wood ....no nest or nesting supplies at all.

Back
Top Bottom