Ameraucana or Easter eggers?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Jdc361, Feb 27, 2015.

1. Jdc361

Jdc361 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2015
    So I just found out that my local tractor supply is carrying either buff orpingtons or amauracanas(which I hear are normally Easter eggers). I already know how well of a breed buff orpingtons are so I was wondering about amauracanas. Which is better? Amauracana or Easter egger? Which one is a better layer? Which one has a friendlier and more docile attitude? Thanks!

2. cmchickens

cmchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2014
    Bigfork, Montana
    The chicks at Tractor Supply are Easter Eggers. I enjoy my EE's quite a bit. They lay beautiful eggs in many different shades. They are friendly and not too flighty. They aren't grumpy like my Buff Orpington's always are. I'd take an EE hen over an Orpington hen any day. Now for roosters, the opposite is true. My Black Orpington roo, Sue, is such a gentlemen. My previous EE roos? Mean little things.

3. coni55087

coni55087 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 9, 2014
    Minnesota
    I have EE and mine r pretty friendly n the eggs r really fun to see the shades of green n blue.
    They have pea combs so cold hardy. Only drawback is that they usually don't start laying till around 30 weeks

Last edited: Feb 28, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by