Ameraucana or EE & A mystery chick

Larrelye

In the Brooder
7 Years
Mar 15, 2012
Hi. Thanks to everyone in advance. Would really like to know if these are Ameraucana's or Easter Eggers. I know these are hard to sex but if you wanna take a guess, I'm all ears. I'd like to know color also.

These 2 were purchased as Ameraucana's from a local breeder. These are all about 3 1/2 weeks old. 1 may be 2 days younger than the others. They all have grey/green legs.

*Click to enlarge* This one is lighter colored, developing wing and chest feathers faster, bigger though more short & stout in body structure. I think girl but what would I know?

This one is slower to develop feathers by about a week. A roo? I'd like a pair.

The pair

This one was purchased from the same breeder. The mystery chick I hope is a girl but he's somewhat aggressive/pushy also very slow to develop. I think there may be some genetic issues with this one. Feathers are sparce, bald between wings, crop engorges tremendously and bald every evening. He is by far the least intelligent of my 13. I call him Dumbs***.
Unknown Roo x Ameraucana Hen. Would love some guesses as to father. I almost think he was a duck for some reason....
tongue.png

Thanks again!!

Last edited:
I am gonna say EE for the two chicks above. I haven't the slightest idea what the other chick may be? Unfortunately you purchased from an uninformed/uniforming breeder who was also probably told he/she was buying Ameraucana chicks as well, now every chick that they sell is also an Ameraucana. However you will not be disappointed in your new EE's. And yes the breeding of unhealthy, old or just poor specimens will result in poor offspring. Good luck with them and know that this is a particularly ugly time for chicks of this age and they will develop into beautiful birds someday even if one is half DUCK!!!!! :lau

Thank you! I just found the breeder on craigslist and her current ad has them listed as Ameraucana (Easter Eggers). Maybe I should have read better. No matter. I'm thrilled with my chicks and I think the variety of color I can get is better than all blue any day. They hang in the back when I feed treats but they are coming around. I think they may just have a sensitive pallet. The orphingtons will eat anything but not those EEs!

Anyone have any guess on sex or color? I'm hoping for half duck be a girl for eggs and a pair of the other. (Poor duck.... when he falls out the pop door to the coop, he runs straight to me, even if wire separates us, to be put back in. I'm an elevator....)

Back
Top Bottom