Ameraucana or EE, and gender??

Nyxchick

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jun 7, 2014
Hi,
I tried to get all the recommended pictures but these two would NOT stand still.
I was told I had Ameraucana eggs but reading these forums it seems like a lot of people get EEs that way.
Curious what you all think.
Also curious about gender. Is it too early to tell? They are 8 weeks old.

This is Irene

Side view of Irene

This is Susan

All that red on her head makes me nervous, hoping this isn't A Boy Named Sue

Those are Ameraucana, the first looks to be a pullet and that second one is suspicious, it does look rooster like.

Well that part is good, if they are Ameraucana chickens do you think it would make it easier to find a new home for Susan if it comes to that? Beautiful bird. When the sun hits the black feathers they have an irridescent shine to them, just gorgeous.

It can depend on where you live, the rooster market gets saturated this time of year, the funny thing is I was thinking about ordering a Ameraucana rooster next year. They can be tricky to sex them early so I'm just guessing, hopefully it ends up a hen.

I can see small red spots poking through Susan's feathers near the wings. If more develop I would think she is a Sam.

So far Irene is looking purely feminine

Yes, the red spots are becoming more pronounced.
Not a good sign for Susan, eh?

Yes, the red spots are becoming more pronounced.
Not a good sign for Susan, eh?

Nope. I've started calling them the red patches of death
hmm.png
. Had some blue Ameraucana/dark Cornish mixes that were very slow to tell gender, but those red patches sealed their fates.

Here's a picture I took yesterday. Lots more red showing.

Another curious question for the Ameraucana experts here. I thought black Ameraucana roosters were all black. At least the photos I've googled up online. Where do the red spots come from?

get a good shot of the comb on Sue... Pea combs are really obvious about gender once you know what to look for. I can tell mine by about 8 weeks usually. 1 row of peas VS 3 rows. Wider (3 rows) is a cockerel, 1 row is a hen.

Back
Top Bottom