Ameraucana or EE? (Now with pics!)

booker81

Redneck Tech Girl
9 Years
Apr 18, 2010
Mid-MI
First, I'm going to do the unforgivable and not have pictures handy
smile.png
It's dark out now too, so I'll snag some tomorrow.

I picked up a roo to turn to stew for a person today, and he threw in two hens because they haven't laid in a few months (I've turned into the knacker (wo)man for folks around here that no longer want chickens).

Now, I know there is a whole deal about Ameraucanas and EEs (I doubt they are Aruacanas since they are so rare), but these girls are a gorgeous black with green sheen, dark slatey colored legs, with almost a cream colored foot bottom. They have the big muffs, and I'm not sure on beards(for lack of knowing what I'm looking at). Very deep red brown eyes. Their tails, if you want to call them that, aren't very pronounced - they have some tail feathers and it's a bit poofy, but not like my other hens, but not as far as I'd call them rumpless.

They are hanging out in the garage for now, I've checked them over for lice/mites, and they have very nice skin, eyes and nose are clear, and are very calm about being handled. The look like they may be coming over a molt, still a few funky pin feather ends on their head and neck. I told the guy I might keep them alive, he just didn't want to keep feeding non-layers.

I believe he did say they they did lay blue eggs, back when they laid for about a month.

Is there any way to know for certain what they are?

Last edited:
Sounds like true Ameraucanas to me.
smile.png

When I first saw this thread I was about to say "if yo have to ask. . . it's an Easter Egger," because honestly, that's how it goes 90% of the time, but by your description, it sounds like you have the genuine thing.

As long as there is no green or yellow in the legs and soles, as long as there is no silver, brown, or gold in the plumage. . . They're true Ameraucanas, and blacks usually give very good blue eggs.
smile.png

Wooooo!!!!! I know I didn't see any other colors on them. He thinks they are older, but I'm down with that, I have a three year old in the coop right now that laid every day, but stopped for molting. The girls I have are really pets, and the eggs are a bonus - I have a whole variety going now, and I don't mind feeding a few free loaders for the "rainbow" plumage I have going on in the coop. I think he said he paid $15 or $20 each for them as layers. If they are/were molting, I kinda feel bad for him. However, the mean ol' roo he had me take is in freezer camp, so I did do at least a good service for him there (it was attacking everything).

They really are pretty girls. I lost a hen a bit back to a hawk, and by their personality, they might fit right in the lower end of the totem pole, which will give the submissive roo a couple more girls to keep
smile.png
Right now he only has one hen again, and she's getting worn (and molting, so she looks really bad, I check her daily to make sure she's not getting too rough, and no open spots).

Just getting light here, so I'll get pics in a couple hours.

I'm still loading pics up from the phone.

Can see some of the grown out pins:
54632_amer8.jpg

54632_amer5.jpg

54632_amer4.jpg

54632_amer7.jpg

She's a bit dirty on her legs(the light tan), they are all that dark grey color.

54632_amer6.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom