Ameraucana or EE??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by pj_elia, Mar 4, 2009.

1. pj_elia

pj_elia Out Of The Brooder

Jul 1, 2008
    Northern NJ
    My brother bought this hen as an Ameraucana from an unknown breeder. Is that what she is or is she an EE. Its not a great picture but her legs look more slate than green. I'm not sure I see anything that would disqualify her as an Ameraucana. What do you think?

PJ

[​IMG]

2. poultrykeeper08

poultrykeeper08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2008
    Agawam , Ma
    I would say a very pretty EE [​IMG]

Or she could just be a mixed color Ameraucana

Last edited: Mar 4, 2009
  3. Delta2 23

Delta2 23 Flock Master

Sep 4, 2008
    The legs look sort of green.

I'd say EE.

She is very pretty!

Lucky you, you get snow over there. I'm from England and I miss the snow. [​IMG] It NEVER snows over here. It never has, and it never will.

4. Dread Pirate Roberts

Dread Pirate Roberts Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2009
    NorCal
    Here's what I'll say...

I've recently been "duped" into buying a lot of EEs that were supposed to be Ameraucanas. At first, I was kinda pyst. Now tho, I really like the EEs and I see them as being just like alley cats and barn cats. They're the ultimate mongrels. They can look like anything, but they're all beautiful. And they're very sweet chickens. I really appreciate them.

edit: syntax and spelling errors.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 4, 2009
  5. Lolliegee

Lolliegee Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2008
    Cottage Grove, OR
    I somewhere along the line got the idea that an Easter Egger (EE right?) was just another name fro the Ameraucana...is that not right? [​IMG]

6. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    Quote:no, ameraucana is a breed recognized by the APA. Hatcheries sell birds they call ameraucana, araucana, americana, etc but they are all EE's. There is a sticky at the top of the breeds forum, take a look [​IMG]

Ameraucana only come from breeders..

7. pj_elia

pj_elia Out Of The Brooder

Jul 1, 2008
    Northern NJ
    I really am just interested in learning how to tell them apart. Some EE are clearly not Ameraucanas but this blue hen looks a lot like pictures of Ameraucanas that I have seen. I'm happy either way. I'm not breeding them.

As for the snow, I don't mind it as much as others. It won't stay around long considering its March

8. walkswithdog

walkswithdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    Since she is blue/brown, etc. she is not a recognized color, so she can't be an ameraucana. Try shooting her in a better light but mixed colors = EE. Ameraucana come in the recognized colors or they aren't one.

Still really super sweet birds.

9. poultrykeeper08

poultrykeeper08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2008
    Agawam , Ma
    An unrecognized color in an ameraucana does not mean it is an EE. Ameraucanas are a pure breed, EEs are mutts. An unrecognized variety would be considered and shown as AOV.

I dont know whether or not the above bird is An EE OR ameraucana just wanted to clear up the color thing

10. LilPeeps

LilPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    That bird is an EE.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by