Ameraucana or EE?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Natural Chicken, Nov 5, 2009.

1. Natural Chicken

Natural Chicken Out Of The Brooder

Nov 3, 2009
    Eastern Washington
    This is one of our little pullets, Sage. Is she an Ameraucana or an EE? The people we bought her from said that she was an Araucana, but we don't think that's correct, because she's not rumpless, and she has no ear tufts.

[​IMG]

2. cthrash1

cthrash1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Somerset, KY
    She's an EE... I have one identicle to her... Mine lays lg to jumbo(double yolk) blue-green eggs. Very pretty

But there are tailed Ara's as well... Something to do with a lethal gene in the tufted rumpless, you have to breed them to a tailed, tufted or a rumpless nontufted...Something like that.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2009
  3. solarquail

solarquail Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2009
    Virginia
    Pretty EE [​IMG]

4. 19hhbelgian

19hhbelgian Pigs DO Fly!!

Apr 9, 2009
    New Tripoli PA
    Actually it is the tufted gene that is lethal [​IMG] Araucanas can be tailed though. I was told it is good to help lengthen their back if they start getting to short. Rumpless isn't the lethal gene, it can just make mating more difficult. Please any experts on araucanas, correct me if I'm wrong [​IMG]

5. Natural Chicken

Natural Chicken Out Of The Brooder

Nov 3, 2009
    Eastern Washington
    Quote:No eggs from her yet, but we're hoping for some pretty ones! As it turns out, I seem to have only two purebred chickens in my flock of six--one Buff Orpington hen and one Rhode Island Red pullet. Oh well, we've got a mixed family...my husband is Caucasian, I'm biracial, and so are four of my kids, and two of my children were adopted from Ethiopia...so why not a mixed flock?! [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 5, 2009
  6. cthrash1

Apr 15, 2008
    Somerset, KY
    [​IMG] I like that... Makes sense don't it... And the mixed turn out very pretty too...

7. cthrash1

Apr 15, 2008
    Somerset, KY
    Quote:Thank you, I knew it was something... I usually don't pay much attn to those type of details... My girls are just for pets and eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by