Ameraucana or EE?

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by M To The Maxx, Nov 22, 2009.

1. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    Pips & Peeps in a different post said that my hen was an EE. I respect the Pips & Peeps opinion but I disagree. I think Midnight is a Black Ameraucana. What do you think?

[​IMG]
    This is Midnight. I think she is a Black Ameraucana.

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

What was Jean's reason for saying Midnight is an EE, Maxx? Jean is the expert, not me. Midnight is solid black, right? Slate legs, right? Her tail set is kind of upright for an Ameraucana, but not sure that puts her out of the running as one, though it would be a fault. Don't know, Maxx. I guess breeding her with another that you are sure is an Ameraucana rooster and seeing what they produce together would be the true test, but I know you don't have an Ameraucana rooster. Below is my Gypsy, a black Ameraucana, descended from Cree Farms stock. See her tail set?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    This is what I said:

I think your black may be an easter egger too, she has the exact same body type as your ee in the above picture and it is not correct for ameraucanas.

The reason I said this is because you purchased an easter egger (pictured below) the same day which looks eerily similar in body type to the black hen.

[​IMG]

There are some things you should look for to determine if she in fact is a black EE or ameraucana.

What color are the bottoms of her feet? (They should be white)

What color egg does she lay?

Is the body type correct? (Medium back with slight incline at the shoulders. Tail set at 45 degrees above horizontal.)

Was the person you bought her from a serious breeder of ameraucanas or do the have EE's and this one just happend to be black?

What color will her offspring be? If you breed her to another black bird she should have all black chicks.

Just from the little information you provided, I deducted that she could possibly be an EE.​

Last edited: Nov 22, 2009
  4. M To The Maxx

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    The reason Pips and Peeps said she was an Ameraucana was because of her tail and posture. [​IMG] I looked on the Ameraucana Brreders website and she meets all of the requirements to be an Ameraucana but her tail is just more upright. I wouldn't think that would automatically maked her an EE. [​IMG]

5. M To The Maxx

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    pips&peeps :

This is what I said:

I think your black may be an easter egger too, she has the exact same body type as your ee in the above picture and it is not correct for ameraucanas.

The reason I said this is because you purchased an easter egger (pictured below) the same day which looks eerily similar in body type to the black hen.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/37500_sdc10027.jpg

There are some things you should look for to determine if she in fact is a black EE or ameraucana.

What color are the bottoms of her feet?

What color egg does she lay?

Is the body type correct? (Medium back with slight incline at the shoulders. Tail set at 45 degrees above horizontal.)

Was the person you bought her from a serious breeder of ameraucanas or do the have EE's and this one just happend to be black?

What color will her offspring be? If you breed her to another black bird she should have all black chicks.

Just from the little information you provided, I deducted that she could possibly be an EE.​

I looked on the Ameraucana Brreders website and she meets all of the requirements to be an Ameraucana but her tail is just more upright. He does breed a lot of Black Ameraucanas. I saw her mother and father. They do have EEs but they do have more Ameraucanas than EEs. She has not layed but Randy ( the guy I bought her from) says she lays a blue egg. The bottom of her feet are white.​

Last edited: Nov 22, 2009
  6. cottagegarden

cottagegarden Eggistentialist

Oct 2, 2008
    SE PA
    Maxx-Jean is the Western District Director Ameraucana Breeders Club, and that makes up about a third of the US.
    She attends shows and meets and is friends with all the other Ameraucana Breeders, I think the term "expert"
    does apply here. You can answer this is one of two ways, ask the folks you got her from if all their birds run together
    and if there is a possibility of a cross or breed her to a BBS Roo and see if the chicks are all solid standard colors.

As presented in the pic she looks Ameraucana, although not typey. Based on the other new one(same age same type) it is not unthinkable
    to assume it could be a cross, but you need more info.

Either way, you have two beautiful new girls-enjoy them!

7. cottagegarden

cottagegarden Eggistentialist

Oct 2, 2008
    SE PA
    Cynthia-I have seen 'em a zillion times and I never get tired of looking at your darlings!

8. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I do love my Ameraucanas as well as my EEs. They are such affectionate birds (except for snotty Nora, LOL).

Maxx, I agree that she doesn't look typey, but she has Ameraucana coloring. I defer to Jean and the serious Ameraucana breeders on most issues. If the folks you got her from have true black Ameraucanas, maybe she is one. The tail is way high and her general body type is off, so that would be certainly a fault if you were showing her. She's beautiful, though! I love the blacks with their gorgeous sheen.

9. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    I have a flock of Black Ameraucana and I have had many EE's. I agree for some reason her type seems very EE and not Ameraucana. My Ameraucana have smaller shoulders and not as high a tail set. My Black Coppers and Larger Brown Egg laying breeds have a tail set more like your girl. I would also say because you got her at the same time and same place as your other EE girl she probably is an EE. There is no way to be certain but I believe because she doesn't apear to conform to the pretty unique body set of the Ameraucana that she is most likely an EE. I also agree with Pips&peeps because she is an expert on Ameraucana and has given me great advice about my birds.

They are Beautiful Girls though!

Henry

10. sillyaboutchickens

sillyaboutchickens Out Of The Brooder

Aug 16, 2009
    NH
    I am intersted in this thread as our chicken (below) just started laying green eggs. I believe this makes her an EE. Your chickens look like they have longer necks and more feathers near their faces, but your Midnight does not look like our 2 Ameraucanas either. I realize there can be many crossbreeds and perhaps more variablility in how EE look??

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 23, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by