Ameraucana or EE?

joskt0204

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 9, 2011
east TN
Which is she? I bought her as a day old chick at the Co-op, and they said she was an Ameraucana. Is she even a she? As far as I can tell, she is not laying, even though the others (same age, different breeds) have been laying for 3-4 weeks. I wonder if she is just not quite right, lol. She is funny, and we are getting more than enough eggs from our two that are laying for the three of us, so it's no big deal either way.

These pics are 3-4 weeks old. She hatched 3/17/11, so she is six months old.

035.jpg

047.jpg

Last edited:
See, I would say it's DEFINITELY a pullet, and an EE. My EEs started laying around 28 weeks.

However, at my local county and state fairs, I've seen hens exactly like yours, labeled as americauna, and winning a blue ribbon. So, I'm totally confused.

Regardless, she is absolutely gorgeous.

Quote:
It happens ALL the time! Any time you see it spelled "americana" or anything other than AMERAUCANA - be wary. They may not know what they are working with. But no worries. Absolutely not a thing wrong with Easter Eggers.

Well, I'll just keep looking for a more colorful egg. The two I have laying both lay brown eggs (Tango is my Dominique - really small eggs and Echo is my Black Australorpe - really big eggs). Either way, Oscar (yeah, weird name for a hen!) is a cool chicken, so it's all fine.

Back
Top Bottom