ameraucana or ee?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by eggxelent, Oct 25, 2013.

1. eggxelent

eggxelent Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2012
    When I purchased Snow White from Ideal, I assumed she was an EE. But I looked at the Ameraucana standard and now I'm not so sure. She lays an olive green egg. Is she showable?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    And here's Gretel, my other (I think) EE. She lays a light sky blue egg.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Yes, she's on top of the coop. No, I didn't help her get up there. Sorry for the poor quality of her pictures.

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Both of your birds are Easter Eggers. Snow White does not fit the color pattern of any recognized color variety. She also appears to have green legs (though it may just be the photo). Ameraucanas are supposed to have blue legs. Gretel has blue legs, but definitely doesn't fit any color variety. True Ameraucanas also have to lay blue eggs. If your birds are laying greenish ones, even if they have some Ameraucana characteristics, they are Easter Eggers. Very pretty birds, even if they're not pure bred!

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    They're Easter egger hens, both.

4. eggxelent

eggxelent Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2012
    ok, I must not have had the complete standard. It's ok, they're mainly just pets, and layers, and they are wonderful at both of those jobs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by