Ameraucana or EEs and gender help

PeachyFox

In the Brooder
Apr 22, 2015
18
1
24
Bogalusa
These two are a little over 5 weeks and were sold to me as Ameraucana from the local feed store but I would be just as happy if they turned out to be EEs instead.

I'm pretty sure the grey is a rooster (behaves like rooster and has the rust colored feathers on the shoulders and long tail feathers) and am hoping the brown to be a hen. Any thoughts?

PSX_20150520_234241_zpsmbioxapf.jpg


PSX_20150520_234107_zpsly4trsfu.jpg


PSX_20150520_234314_zpswjs1jmvu.jpg



PSX_20150520_234840_zps9hswncu0.jpg


PSX_20150520_235043_zpsitstcx1e.jpg


PSX_20150521_000846_zpszmagwtyy.jpg
 

junebuggena

Crowing
Apr 17, 2015
23,102
8,201
491
Long Beach, WA
I can't see the combs clearly. They need to be really clear straight shots. The rust coming in on the blue splash is on the lower part of the wing, not the shoulder, could be a pullet. I need to see a better shot of the combs on both of these. They are Easter Eggers.
 

PeachyFox

In the Brooder
Apr 22, 2015
18
1
24
Bogalusa
I don't know if it matters or not, but they also just recently got over a bout of cocdidosis (Sunday was their last day of meds) and the blue splash was the one who had it the worse out of everyone and is just starting to get the color in its face back. The brown was hardly affected (didn't show symptoms like some of the others). And different times of the day the Browns comb will be a soft light pink and others a brighter pink like in the picture.


PSX_20150521_092344_zpscasdeccl.jpg


PSX_20150521_092529_zpshwd8mvbs.jpg
 
Last edited:

PeachyFox

In the Brooder
Apr 22, 2015
18
1
24
Bogalusa
Thank you everyone so much for the feedback! I'm glad to know their sex. I was hoping for at least one hen out of the two (I also have 8 more hens of different breeds, but I believe there is someone in my area who breeds the EEs and may can trade one of my roosters for a hen and I pay the difference. Here's hoping I can track them down! Lol
 
Last edited:

Shelly80

In the Brooder
Apr 2, 2015
20
2
26
Southeast Kansas
Thank you everyone so much for the feedback! I'm glad to know their sex. I was hoping for at least one hen out of the two (I also have 8 more hens of different breeds, but I believe there is someone in my area who breeds the EEs and may can trade one of my roosters for a hen and I pay the difference. Here's hoping I can track them down! Lol


I just seen where you said they're 5 weeks old. If it were me...I would wait at least another 4-6 weeks before deciding. Yes...they both have distinced 3 rows in their comb but the pullets will also have that and looking at the 2nd one- by color I'd say pullet. At just 5 wks it could go either way for both.
 

PeachyFox

In the Brooder
Apr 22, 2015
18
1
24
Bogalusa
I just seen where you said they're 5 weeks old. If it were me...I would wait at least another 4-6 weeks before deciding. Yes...they both have distinced 3 rows in their comb but the pullets will also have that and looking at the 2nd one- by color I'd say pullet. At just 5 wks it could go either way for both.
I will hold onto both of them at least until I hear some crowing to be absolutely sure. I mostly wanted some insight so I can start on a stratagy in case I do for sure have 2 roosters. One I can manage, I just don't want any fighting. I'd hate if any of them got hurt.
 

New posts New threads Active threads

Top Bottom