Ameraucana People: Is this Ameraucana pullet Wheaten or BLUE Wheaten?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by happytxchick, Dec 27, 2010.

1. happytxchick

happytxchick Egg Song Acre

Jul 8, 2009
    Sulphur Springs, TX
    This is my Ameraucana pullet. She is either wheaten or blue wheaten, but I'm having trouble deciding which one. She appears to be more BW; however, she has some black in her tail. What do you think?

[​IMG]

2. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Wheaton.........Im not an expert but for Faverolles, the pattern is very similar, so I must say it is Wheaton because like you said, black tipped and if her down feathers may be white while the Blue Wheaton could be very light grey color.

3. happytxchick

Jul 8, 2009
    Sulphur Springs, TX
    I'm wondering if she should have more black in her tail to be a better quality. Should I attempt to breed toward MORE black in the tail?

4. Whiskey Bay

Whiskey Bay Chillin' With My Peeps

Not an expert on Aracauunas/Americaunas,however, She would be wheaten not Blue wheaten since she has the black tail. To be blue the black would have been substituted with the blue. As for the tail question, In the Old English they should have more black in the tail plumage and darker coloring in hackles and lower wing areas.

5. PepsNick

PepsNick Back to Business

May 9, 2010
    Egglanta, GA
    Wheaten.

6. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    She is a BEAUTIFUL wheaten, I wouldn't change a thing about her.

I'd love to have wheatens that look like her.

7. shandiane78

shandiane78 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2009
    Woodinville, WA
    Not an expert by an means, but I do believe you want to breed for more black in the tail. She's very pretty!

8. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Wheaten.

Blue Wheatens have blue on the tail and wings, and are much creamier/more "homogenized" in coloration.

9. happytxchick

Jul 8, 2009
    Sulphur Springs, TX
    Quote:Mahonri - I'll sell you some eggs as soon as I see how these that I have in the incubator hatch. [​IMG]

I was just checking out the ameraucana website, and the wheatens do have tails with some solid black feather. I won't complain though...Sandy is a survivor! I had eight to begin with, and lost all but her and Wilson (my roo) to a predator. She's a good layer, and is supplying eggs for generation #2 here! [​IMG]

ETA: THANKS to everyone for your comments. I think she's a pretty thing, too! Check out my website to see her "husband."

Last edited: Dec 28, 2010
  10. ArizonaDesertChicks

ArizonaDesertChicks Eggstactic for Pretty Eggs

Dec 8, 2008
    Glendale, AZ
    I'm no pro at Wheaten Ameraucanas - but here's a pic of mine hatched from Mahonri's eggs (both colors - wheaten on your left and Blue wheaten on the right). The Wheatens have black in their tails and a little bit on their wings also.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by