Ameraucana - please help identify

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by BentWillow, Apr 15, 2008.

1. BentWillow

BentWillow Out Of The Brooder

Apr 15, 2008
    W. TN
    I have 5 Ameraucana hens that I got from Murray McMurray 8 wks ago. When they arrived as 2 day olds, 3 looked like little chipmunks and two looked like dark brown mink fur. Now that they are all feathered out, they all have the same body coloring (gold and black splash?) but either black or golden heads. I was hoping that maybe someone could tell me if these were a recognized color type. Thanks in advance![​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 15, 2008
  2. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    Sorry, but no... the only way to get true Ameraucanas is to go to a breeder for chicks or eggs. Hatchery ameraucanas are always labled Easter Eggers because of their non-standard colors.

3. BentWillow

Apr 15, 2008
    W. TN
    Thanks! Should I still refer to them as Ameraucanas or are they just mutts? (precious mutts ) [​IMG]

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Just call them Easter Eggers; and there's nothing wrong with Easter Eggers. They're fun birds that usually lay very pretty eggs, a great backyard flock bird.

5. BentWillow

Apr 15, 2008
    W. TN
    Is there any way to predict egg color? Marigold, the hen I have just posted a picture of, have very green legs. Will this mean she will lay green eggs? (I am very new to this breed. I hope my questions aren't too silly!)

6. LilPeeps

LilPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    You won't know until they lay [​IMG]

7. Dustin Biery

Dustin Biery Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2007
    Mulberry, Arkansas
    As Julie said, there is not way to know what color egg and EE will lay until they do so. There have been so many different bloodlines and breeds that have gone into these birds, that they can lay eggs that range from greens to blues to browns even, so until she actually lays the egg, it will be impossible to tell.

8. NS2A

NS2A Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2007
    Minnesota
    Mine are 2 weeks old and have a lot more black in them. Of course that could (will?) change. I got them from Welch, so I'm sure they are really EE's, but they were listed as Ameraucana's.

9. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    If it's any consolation, I have EE pullets that look exactly like yours and they lay green eggs. [​IMG] One lays a vibrant blue-green and the others lay more of a light olive green.

10. Moonwalker

Moonwalker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2008
    Washburn, MO
    I can't wait till mine start laying! I have 10 of them so maybe I'll get several different colors/shades!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by