Ameraucana pullet egg color

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Randy, Dec 10, 2009.

1. Randy

Randy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    AR
    I just got my first egg and am pretty disappointed in the light color. As this is just the first egg is there a chance color will get better with age or is this it? The egg it hatched from had a lot more color.

2. cndula@elp.rr.com

[email protected] Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2009
    El Paso, Tx
    Mine were darker at first. Now I get an almost white egg from my EE. I read on here it might have to do with the cycle, ie. the time of year, closer to the time when they stop laying. I'm hoping for more color in the spring.

3. dwegg

dwegg Chillin' With My Peeps

I have two EE and they have layed beautiful green eggs to almos Olive eggs.

4. Amethyste

Amethyste For Love of Boo...

My 2 adult girls really never changed egg colour much... just same shade of green.

Both of them actually.... tbh I cant tell their eggs apart cos of the colour....its pretty but they never seem to change!

Last edited: Dec 10, 2009
  5. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    They usually only get lighter until the hen molts and then you'll get darker eggs again. They'll lighten slowly until the next molt. My standard hatchery EE lay kind of light greyish eggs. Not really appealing.

6. Jilara

Jilara Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2008
    Bay Area, CA
    My easter egger started laying a few weeks ago, and so far I've gotten four different colors/degrees of color saturation. Her most common ones are olive green, but I got one that was almost seafoam green! She's the only EE in the coop, so they're definitely all hers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by