1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Ameraucana Pullet or Cockerel? NOW with a feather comparison pic!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Guitartists, Nov 22, 2008.

1. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    Well, I thought all 4 of my black Ameraucanas were pullets .... but am now beginning to think this one is a cockerel. I have a hard time telling on these solid colored birds [​IMG] What do you think?

[​IMG]

And here He? is on the left.... pullet on the right

[​IMG]

If he is a HE... that's brings my Ameraucana cockerel count to 4....

1 Blue Wheaton (NOT keeping)

1 Black

1 Blue (no lacing but decent color)

1 Splash

(the pullets I have are 3 Black, 1 light blue [​IMG] but nice lacing, and one blue wheaton..probably will put her in the EE pen)

Here's the Splash... I definitely think I am keeping him..... So which other roo to keep... Blue or Black?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 24, 2008
  2. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    age?
    looking at the splash and his "boy" feathers I am thinking the black still looks girly to me, the saddle feathers look rather rounded [​IMG] .

Last edited: Nov 22, 2008
  3. Guitartists

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    Der.. I forgot to post that... um... born in the first week of July.... 4 months.

4. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    mine are about the same age, the cockerals have larger combs by this time, and the pullets combs are red(so color doesn't help). Do you have a front shot so we can see the comb better? [​IMG]

5. Guitartists

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    Not really... it won't hold still for anything [​IMG] But I can tell you that the comb IS redder and larger than the others... but just not enough for me to be certain. I am noticing that it stands more erect and the tail is more erect as to where the other 3 black ones have a different look to them.

6. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    are these from Jean? I would pm her and ask her as to what should stay.
    I am still saying pullet
    I did have a pullet that I wasn't sure about because the comb got redder and bigger than the others, had me confused, but had it not been for the lack of color(dark shoulder on blue wheaten) coming in I would have said roo
    Maybe *she* is just more *mature* than the others [​IMG]

7. Guitartists

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    LOL Maybe that's it [​IMG] She is MUCH larger than the rest exceot for the roos and the one other black... and ALL hatched the same time [​IMG] Go fig.

Yeah... I'll ask her [​IMG]

8. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    It has been my very limited experience that the pullet that develops early is the dominant one

I am still on the fence about a brn/red ameraucana I have, the "pullet" is smaller all the way around but I am just not positive [​IMG]

9. Guitartists

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    Here's some more pics....

A pullet

[​IMG]

The one in question (left) and a pullet.... notice the difference is the way they look shapewise

[​IMG]

And the Blue cockerel (at least I think this one is a cockerel)

[​IMG]

I guess if one or the other turns out to be a pullet, then I won;t need to choose... LOL

10. SGM

SGM Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2008
    Easley, SC
    Quote:I agree, the black looks remarkably like a hen I had. Only she had some brown faint markings too. The splash has the roo saddle feathers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by