Ameraucana question - boy or girl and color?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by RiddleMe, Aug 6, 2011.

1. RiddleMe

RiddleMe Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2011
    Central Oregon
    When I got this Ameraucana I was told it's a blue cockeral but with the comb development and black spots on the feathers I'm thinking it might actually be a splash pullet? S/he hasn't started to crow or lay yet, and the comb is pretty red, but it just changed in the last month (s/he's ~ 41/2 months in these pics).

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 6, 2011
  2. Cowgirl71

Cowgirl71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    I don't know how to sex the blue Ameraucanas by color but that looks like a pullet to me. Small comb, rounded saddle feathers. Pretty girl! [​IMG]

3. tinychicky

tinychicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2010
    Hollis, New Hampshire
    pretty blue pullet [​IMG]

4. sevenbabychicks

sevenbabychicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2010
    Saint Paul, MN
    I think by 4.5 months, roosterness would be more evident. Even my super late-blooming roo was making himself pretty obvious at that age. Congrats on a beautiful pullet!

5. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    Definitely a blue pullet. A boy would be getting some darker feathers on his back by now [​IMG]

6. RiddleMe

Feb 8, 2011
    Central Oregon
    Quote:Thanks! What's funny, kinda, is that I got her thinking/planning that she was a cockeral so I rehomed my two "gonna be gorgeous" EE cockerals to make room. But I did get a couple black ameraucanas at the same time and it looks like one of those might be a cockeral, so it should work out ok. I may still have to find a blue roo though, I just really like the way they look!

7. mama24

mama24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    GSO, NC
    But if you breed blue to blue, you will get black, splash and blue. So if you breed your black and blue together, you will still get some blue babies, as well as black. [​IMG] Unless that pullet is actually splash (those black specks are throwing me, but I don't have ameraucanas, don't know much about them!) then if you breed a splash with a black, you will get 100% blue babies.

8. RiddleMe

Feb 8, 2011
    Central Oregon
    Yeah, I wasn't sure if she was really a blue or splash, the black specks were throwing me as well, which is why I included coloring in my question title. But everyone seems to be in agreement she's a blue... I've been looking at a lot of pics though and it looks like a splash would be more of a white base? I have noticed a lot of the blues seem to have the same black specks, wonder how much she'll change after a molt...

Don't know if I'll breed, I really just wanted a roo for now for flock protection when they free range, but like to keep my options open for the future.

9. MassivelyScrambled

MassivelyScrambled Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2011
    Northern California
    4.5 months...looks like a pullet to me.

10. wpalmisano

wpalmisano Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2010
    Connecticut
    Lol, they are right, a roo at that age would be long and lean, but it looks to be a beauty of a pullet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by