Ameraucana Question

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Wickischickies, Mar 30, 2012.

1. Wickischickies

Wickischickies Out Of The Brooder

Mar 29, 2012
    Mi
    I have been using the same rooster for two years now. He's the one pictured in my avatar. His comb is slightly crooked just like my last rooster (from different breeders). One of his offspring is a 5 month old cockerel (Woody) who has the small comb but it is straight. Woody's beard is too light still, I'm hoping it will darken as he gets older.

Question 1. Will Woody's beard darken as he matures?
    Question 2. Which is better full fluffy muffs and beard or straight, pea size comb?
    Question 3. Which rooster do you think will be better for breeding appearance wise?

I these pictures posted are of Woody.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Shaffer

Shaffer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    Tamaqua, NE Pa
    Did you contact Pips&Peeps? She has been raising silvers for a while.

3. Wickischickies

Mar 29, 2012
    Mi
    I have not contacted anyone yet. I'm hoping she and others will see this and help.

4. dak

dak geek dvm

Mar 21, 2010
    You should post your pics and question on the Ameraucana thread. It will get more attention there and not need to "found". We need to see more Silvers.

5. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    I don't think his beard wil darken at this point. He has alot of "pseudo" mottling in him. The comb size is a common problem in this variety also.

To properly breed silvers, you should have a pullet pen and a cockerel pen. This means that there are different qualities to look for in breeding the male and female lines of this variety.

I currently do not have different pens set up, but will in the future since I am still working on getting the size and body type up to standard before I work on color.

6. Wickischickies

Mar 29, 2012
    Mi
    Pips&Peeps,

What are the qualities you look for when breeding? I am new to Ameraucanas. If you could, please post pictures of the qualities of silvers. Most of my hens are from John B. and my rooster and 2 hens are from James F. I noticed John's are lighter around the muffs and beards and are larger then my other 2 hens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by