Ameraucana Question

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Pack Mom, Apr 11, 2012.

1. Pack Mom

Pack Mom Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2012
    New Jersey
    Hello, we are new to having chicks so sorry for a silly question. Do Ameraucanas come in banty and standard size? We got two Ameraucanas and one is as large as everyone else (the orpingtons and barreds) but the one Daphne (she is my avatar) is so tiny. They are just two weeks old and she has not grown one bit since coming home, everyone else is growing like weeds.
    Dorothy

2. mama24

mama24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    GSO, NC
    They are probably Easter Eggers, but yes, they come in both large fowl and bantam size. There are a lot of threads on Ameraucana vs EE, but if you got them from a feed store or hatchery, then they are Easter Eggers, not Ameraucanas. Hatcheries often call what they have Ameraucanas, but they don't meet breed standards. I have both EE's and show quality Ameraucanas, and I love them both. :)

As far as your chick goes, though, I have had chicks that didn't grow before. Most have died, but I've had some make it and grow up to be normal size. If you got them together and they're supposed to be the same thing, then I would guess this is the case. I always just called it failure to thrive, like some kids of friends have had as babies. They all grew up normal and healthy, but it's harder to deal with in an animal. Personally, for me, I don't have the time to worry and take care of a FTT chick, so they either make it or they don't. If you are concerned and have the time, then try to hand feed the chick extra high calorie treats. Like maybe some canned cat food. But if it dies, it was nothing you did wrong, it just happens sometimes. Good luck and enjoy them!

3. Pack Mom

Apr 11, 2012
    New Jersey
    We went to a chicken farm/hatchery and he stated they are Ameraucanas. They hand raise all chicks and only sell to people wanting egg layers. We will check to make sure she is eating and try offering other foods. We will do our best by her but understand mother nature sometimes has other plans. Dorothy

4. cashdl

cashdl Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2008
    Willits
    I raise and hatch large fowl araucana and I had a chick hatch 4 weeks ago that is still the size of my day olds. She is a brute, always pushing her way to the water and food, she just doesn't get any bigger. I have had banties before and she is smaller than them but she eats just like a big bird so I don't worry about her.

As long as your baby is eating, drinking and pooping like the other birds I wouldn't worry too much.

Lanae

5. Pack Mom

Apr 11, 2012
    New Jersey
    Thanks Lanae, we got a few more chicks then we wanted figuring "things happen" but now that they are here with us we couldn't imagine losing any of them. She is eating, drinking and pooping like the rest. Other then size the only thing I see different is her feathers are coming in slower.
    Dorothy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by