ameraucana question

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by downsouthbirds, Oct 13, 2013.

1. downsouthbirds

downsouthbirds Out Of The Brooder

Oct 13, 2013
    Alabama
    I bought what I was told was an Ameraucana Blue Wheaten rooster and he has all of the Ameraucana looks except his legs did not change from pale yellow to slate or blue....any ideas??
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] I don't know anything about the breed but, he is beautiful. You know even show birds have faults, unless you are breeding for show -the color of his feet are immaterial.

3. downsouthbirds

Oct 13, 2013
    Alabama
    Yes very true and Thank you.....I love his color also!

4. All Henned Up

All Henned Up Muffs or Tufts

He should have slate colored legs for showing, although he is a good looking bird. Here is a pic of one of mine notice the leg color.
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  5. downsouthbirds

Oct 13, 2013
    Alabama
    Yes I knew about the leg color but for some reason his never changed what could cause this or could he be something other than what he is suppose to be? He seems very healthy...also the ppl I bought him from had him in with 5 other rooster's and he is missing some feathers.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2013
  6. All Henned Up

All Henned Up Muffs or Tufts

There is nothing wrong with him he is just not show quality, he is pet quality. Not so purebred, got something else in him. Still he is handsome and you have to start somewhere.

7. downsouthbirds

Oct 13, 2013
    Alabama
    Ok thank you that helps me a lot!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by