Ameraucana question...

Discussion in 'Exhibition, Genetics, & Breeding to the Standard o' started by mama k, Oct 26, 2014.

1. mama k

mama k Out Of The Brooder

Feb 10, 2014
    Hot, humid TX
    I have a brown red Ameraucana rooster, a silver Ameraucana hen, 3 RSL hens, 3 BSL hens, a leghorn hen, and a white mutt hen. What could I expect, chick-wise?

First, my silver Ameraucana and my brown red Ameraucana rooster?

Next, I assume all the rest will have Easter-Egger chicks?

My leghorn is my only white-egg bird. Would her chicks lay blue eggs, then, since they wouldn't have the brown egg gene?

Just wondering. Thanks in advance!

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I hope this helps! [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    I'm going to be honest here - Because you listed two very rare Ameraucana colors and a bunch of breeds commonly found at a hatchery, I'll assume you got the "Ameraucanas" at a hatchery thus making them Easter Eggers, who commonly do in fact come in colors that look like silver and brown-red Ameraucanas, yes?

Based on that . . .

Your EE hen and rooster will make more EE's that look just like them, however if your EE hen truly is a silver duckwing, you'll get sex-linked offspring. Do you have photos of them? If I'm right, the females will grow up to be mostly brown and black, kind of like if you crossed the appearance of your boy and your gal there. Like the gal but more brown and less gray coloration. The males will grow up to have golden duckwing coloration with variations. They'll for the most part be black, white, red, and yellow.

Breeding a white egg layer x blue egg layer (or even green) will result in light blue or light green eggs, or white eggs for the green. If your EE rooster carries genes for green eggs, you may end up with white or green laying offspring. If blue, you'll end up with light blue laying offspring. All of the offspring will be classified as Easter Eggers, even the EE hen x EE rooster. This is all assuming they are in fact Easter Eggers. If they're not, apologies, it's just that both the colors you listed are very rare and are very very commonly found to be cases of someone getting Easter Eggers from a hatchery thinking the hatchery just sells random recognized colors of Ameraucanas. Many EE's do in fact look kind of like brown-red or sliver Ameraucanas, but there are details and tell-tale signs that they're not, you just gotta know the difference. Also leg color is another major sign.

Chick-wise. . . . Most of them will be born brown and black marbled/pinto/striped or mostly black with bits of brown on their face. As for the Leghorn and white mutt, not sure. Depends on if the white is dominant or recessive white.

Hope that helps. [​IMG]

IF they are in fact Ameraucanas, you did not get them from a hatchery or from a local owner who got their birds from a hatchery or their birds' parents came from a hatchery. . . Crossing the two Ameraucanas will still technically result in Easter Eggers, because the color will end up unrecognized. The males will look like golden duckwing EE's, and the females will look like brown-reds. (but genetically are not) The rooster, if indeed a true brown-red Ameraucana, will give you a lot of black chicks and black chicks with red faces when crossed with your hens listed.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  4. mama k

Feb 10, 2014
    Hot, humid TX
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. mama k

Feb 10, 2014
    Hot, humid TX
    Thanks for all the info! After seeing the photos, what do you think? I bought them as week-old chicks at a local farm. I mainly went with the RSL and BSL to ensure lots of eggs. The two white chickens were given to me by someone moving out of state.

I am very new to chickens and pretty clueless, to be honest. I was told these two were Ameraucanas but was never told the coloring. I just guessed based off of pictures I found online. The male I was pretty sure about, the hen, not so much.

6. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Really good looking Easter Eggers.

1 person likes this.
  7. mama k

Feb 10, 2014
    Hot, humid TX
    Another one of my hen:

[​IMG]

8. TaraBellaBirds

TaraBellaBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2013
    SW Kansas
    You have lovely EE's. If you breed them you will get more EE's. There is no telling what the offspring will look like, since EE genetics are varied.

1 person likes this.
  9. TaraBellaBirds

Jul 13, 2013
    SW Kansas
    If you breed your EE's to non-EE's there is no telling what the offspring will look like or what color eggs they will lay. It all depends on the background of your EE's.

1 person likes this.
  10. TaraBellaBirds

Jul 13, 2013
    SW Kansas
    Sorry for the multiple posts. I just took a closer look at your hen. She looks to have Blue Wheaten parentage, but her coloring is not quite right. What color are her legs?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by