1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

ameraucana roo and brown egg layers?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by dinahmoe, Nov 23, 2010.

1. dinahmoe

dinahmoe Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Sep 19, 2009
    central georgia
    ok.i have my purebred pens set up with everyone that is going in there.
    i have a pen with all brown egg layers.they are purebred but different breeds such as rocks(several varieties)rhode island reds.i use these as my eating and selling eggs.
    now that my breeding pens are sorted i have a wheaten ameraucana and a blue wheaten ameraucana roo left over.these are excellent bloodlines and the reason i kept them is because they are sweet and really pretty.one of them is going to the ameraucana pen with my blue wheaten hens and some black copper marans(for olive eggers).
    my question is if i put the extra roo in the rock/red pen ,
    will the babies be easter eggers?
    what color eggs?
    will they have muffs?
    i don't have any EEs but really like them so i thought this way i might be able to keep the extra roo.
    thanks for any advice.

they are still young in these pics and their muffs are coloring in.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Yes, they'll have muffs/beards, they'll lay green eggs, they'll be Easter Eggers, and it's a great idea. [​IMG] One always needs more color in their basket. I too don't have Easter Eggers (green egg laying ones) so I'm creating my own from Araucana x brown egg layer.

Also, your offspring will be mostly brown with a 50% chance of blue here and there.

3. dinahmoe

dinahmoe Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Sep 19, 2009
    central georgia
    Quote:that's great!now i have an excuse to keep both boys.
    thanks for the info.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by